[RESOLVED] Windows 10: Volume Control Triggers Screen To Flash and Speakers To Beep (BUG)

The ISSUE IS RESOLVED...  November 12, 2015 Windows Update (Version 1511).

The issue appears to be between Windows 10 Pro and Logitech keyboard G510...

When changing the volume with the control wheel, the screen will go black and then the speakers will beep. This will happen several times depending on how much you spin the wheel... 

This could be a drivers issue, though there do not appear to be any updates, this is most likely due to Windows 10 just being released a few days ago...

I have attempted driver updates from motherboard manufacturer ASUS as I am using an ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard... I have also attempted to acquire drivers from VIA as the the audio is the built-in VIA VT1708S, there are no driver updates for Windows 10 for either... 

I have also updated the drivers for my EVGA NVIDIA 750ti graphics card (Version 353.62)... 

I have also downloaded Logitech Gaming Software designed for the keyboard (Software Version 8.70.315), this does not repair the issue...

I am not the only one reporting this issue, there are several others that are reporting the issue, I am sure that there are quite a few that have not reported the issue... 

There has been a fix for the issue, though it is NOT an official fix from either Microsoft of Logitech...

If anyone is aware of an OFFICIAL FIX please let me and any others know in the comments below, so that we are able to have our computers functioning properly.

**BUG** Causes graphics drivers to drop when adjusting volume from keyboard. ONLY FIX KNOWN IS TO AUTOSCRIPT... 

Thank you,

Shane

Post from Logitech Forum reporting the issue:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/Fix-for-G510-Windows-10-Volume-Flashing-Monitor/m-p/1426065

Post from Reddit reporting the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3f4wcx/windows_10_screen_flickers_loud_beeps_when/

The ISSUE IS RESOLVED...  November 12, 2015 Windows Update (Version 1511).

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Shane,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issue with Windows 10. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I would like to know the detail below to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message/code?

There could be possibilities of system files corruption due to which you are facing this issue. I request you to perform a SFC scan and check if it helps. It allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

If the issue persists then I request you to perform a Clean Boot and check which is the third party application that is causing the issue. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Keep us posted on the issue to assist you better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to note that I am not the only one experiencing this issue, as you can see that there are other people experiencing this issue based on the "Me Too" clicks on the original posting, as well as the links that I posted... 

To answer your post... 

Question: Do you get any error messages/code?

Answer: No, I do not get any error messages or codes... Just the symptoms that I have mentioned in the above posting... The symptoms listed started after only the Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Operating System was installed, and prior to any third party software being installed. 

Step 1:

Do an SFC Scan, this will scan for corruptions in the Windows System files, it also restores the corrupted files... 

Response : "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Step 2:

Perform a Clean Boot and check which third party application... 

Response: Performed Clean Boot, when starting Windows 10 Pro, there was no way to reproduce the issue for me, as I was unable to adjust the sound...  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I can confirm that this is happening to me as well. Not sure what the cause of this can be but making an educated observation, I would say it might have something to do with the audio slider that pops up in the top left corner. When adjusting the audio from the task bar, there are no issues. However, when using the the slider that is integrated from a Logitech keyboard for example, it causes the audio slider widget to appear and that might be the root of the problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also experience the same problem. Every time I try to adjust the volume with the wheel anywhere above 12, the symptoms appear. The higher the volume, the symptoms manifest more frequently. At and above ~65 they manifest nearly each second even if I stop the adjusting and leave it.

For example, adjusting to 66 and leaving it there makes the symptoms manifest about every 1.5 seconds.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the problem with a flashing black screen when turning the volume wheel.

Updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Installed newest Logitech Gaming Software and Graphic Card Drivers (Nvidia Geforce 970).

When I use the volume wheel on the G510 very slowly everything works ok. When I turn it a little bit quicker, the flash appears and I hear a Beep. When I turn the wheel very quick multiple flashes and beeps occur.

I just ran the System file check some errors occured and are fixed, but the problem still exists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know you are just covering our bases, but I'm 95% sure that the problem is with our G510 device drivers.  These Microsoft knowledge tree experts are just going to tell you to do whatever their little knowledge base says when they type in 'user is reporting problems with his keyboard'

They don't care that literally everyone who owns a G510 and has upgraded or clean installed Windows 10, is experiencing this issue.  After they exhaust their given list of scans and tests, they will simply tell us the problem exists on the hardware side.

The unofficial fix basically remaps the volume slider to have a buffer and slow down your spin of it to below the blinking threshold.  So that means it could be simply taken care of in the device drivers.

EDIT: 8/17/2015
As of now, I am no longer experiencing this blinking and beeping.  I used the method others are reporting worked for them of rapidly increasing and decreasing the volume all the way.  After about 20 seconds of this, the beeping and flashing stopped and the volume wheel has worked correctly since.

I hope this helps someone else with the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue occurs on my g510s.  I have Windows 10 64-bit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What i notice is when i use my volume wheel on youtube it also tabs around a selection box as if more then 1 key is being pressed.

also g510s windows 10 64 bit, issue is extremely rare for me but i managed to trigger it 3 times.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

G510s here, same issue. Running a Razer Lachesis (4000 dpi, not 5600) mouse as well, in case it has something to do with the software suite trying to interface with non-supported devices (doubt it, but never hurts to mention).

I generally find this happens only on system startup (or resume from standby) until I allow the OSD to disappear. After doing so, further use of the volume wheel seems to work fine without triggering it. It seems to be something to do with hitting the limits on the volume, either minimum or maximum. Can't trigger it easily enough to find out more without repeatedly restarting, at the moment it's more of a yellow flag annoyance.

As mentioned by others, it's likely an issue from the upgraded Win7 driver, though why it's representing itself in this manner I can't figure out. Will probably dig into it later on when I run out of bigger issues to sort out.

EDIT: Disregard the bit about it being rare. Seems it does have to do with adjusting too fast while the OSD is fading in or out. Updated my software as best Logitech provides, no change. Not surprising really.

EDIT 2: I've found if on startup you rapidly change your volume up and down through the entire range, stopping for a few seconds every time it starts the beep/flash ****, in less than a minute it will have worked out its idiosyncrasies and be functional. At least for a while, I haven't tested if the problem re-emerges after being on for an extended period.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As additional information to my post: this did not happen for me under Windows 8 or 8.1, and I always relied on Windows to use whatever driver it wants to install for it.

So it is definitely a Windows 10 problem. Fix it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2023 Views 22,329 Applies to: