Windows 10 Updates are extremely inconvenient

So, I upgraded to windows 10, super excited for the new version.  I think it is great, except for one thing....It installs upgrades whenever it wants and I have no choice when this happens and when it does, I am unable to use my computer at all.  So, too many times now I have turned my computer on to hurry and do something, only to be forced to wait for 5 to 20 minutes for updates to install with no option or opportunity to even work in the background.  I don't want to be forced to wait for updates to install to even use my computer.

I went back to Windows 8.1, and will keep Windows 8.1 until Microsoft decides to give me control of when updates are installed, or at least installs updates in the background so I can at least use my computer while it is updating.

Would it really be that hard to simply not let my computer shut down until updates are installed?

Or, allow me to set a time to install updates?

I would be happy to install updates when I get done with my work so it can install updates when I don't actually need my computer.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Welcome to the New World Order according to Microsoft.

If you are using the Home version you have NO choice. MS WILL download AND install updates whenever THEY want. Like you say, there is NO way of preventing that.
There is a choice of WHEN to restart but not an option to do so manually. Meaning - you can pick from THEIR schedule but can't delay them forever.

The #1 deal breaker for a LOT of would be Win-10 users requires us to purchase the Pro version so we have control of updated or stay with a previous OS.

MS says it's FREE then puts in a feature we won't allow, which forces us to buy the Pro version.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 12, 2021 Views 701 Applies to: