Windows 10 taskbar and start menu are not working.

I have recently upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and after the windows was installed and everything got ready, i noticed that my taskbar and start menu are not working. Even when i press the start button on the keyboard it doesn't work. Now i can't shut down my Laptop properly. Please help me on this issue..

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2018 Views 7,300 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

After reinstall start menu working again, lets see if it lasts. Mail app keeps crashing. Start menu lasted 2 hours last time, will try installing office after work, and uploading some photos and getting antivirus on and see how it goes.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it is related to AV software, as I said I did a clean install deleting everything and still have the same results.

Also you are wrong about Windows Update, it is alive and well. It is accessed by going to Settings\Update & Security. If having a tough time getting to Settings due to the Start Menu issue, try pressing Windows+I to access Settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah me too! I deleted iCloud and everything is just working fine now. What an annoying problem...

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.

Nothing happens when I click on the start window. The only thing that is available for access is just the downloaded apps on my desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

After installing Windows 10, it worked for 1 day and then all my Word & Excel docs were read only even though the properties did not indicate read-only.  Also I required a password to log in - never had a password on personal computer before.  After spending 6 hrs. with Microsoft support, over 2 hrs. waiting, being passed to 3 techs, the read-only problem seems to be fixed, techs cannot remove password requirement, but I can live with that.  However, an admin. account was created which has the start menu working but my user account has the critical error indicating start menu not working which techs were unable to fix and finally hung up because my cordless phone needed to be charged.  I'm not very happy with Windows 10 and the lack of qualified techs to fix the recurring problem of the start menu.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah me too! I deleted iCloud and everything is just working fine now. What an annoying problem...

I was on with Microsoft support this AM and they couldn't fix it i.e. no start, edge etc.  So I tried deleting icloud and it works just fine now  Maybe some conflict with OneDrive and icloud? Who knows?

Sorry this didn't help.

After searching the Microsoft support forums for HOURS and finding that lots of people are having this same problem and zero solutions that worked, and trying to get through to tech support waiting for HOURS on 3 separate occasions over the past 2 days, I had no other choice but to abandon 10 and revert back to 7.  I will say that the roll-back process back to 7 was quick (10 minutes), effective and painless.  I'll be waiting till 10 gets straightened out a bit before trying again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have recently upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and after the windows was installed and everything got ready, i noticed that my taskbar and start menu are not working. Even when i press the start button on the keyboard it doesn't work. Now i can't shut down my Laptop properly. Please help me on this issue..

I have the same problem.

I updated monday 3th August.

All system was working perfectly (until i have seen and perceived).

But since today  at 1200 Hrs...

Task bar, start menu, are not working (and I can not open all my software. 

All functionality (of right button of mouse) of pinned elements to task bar have disappeared.

Clock and calendar are not working anymore.

Wireles and network can not be accesed.

Sound control is not working.

Find on web an windows area blocked...

Anyways... all the access and functionality refered to task bar and start menu are not working. 

Please help I liked W10 but this kind of failures push me to return to W7.... 

Thanks for any help that MS team can provide.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue.  I found a solution that worked for me.  I hope it will work for you.
I found the solution when I noticed my calculator also did not work and the solution provided to fix that issue fixed my taskbar as well.  

here is the link to the article I found that helped me
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29806.calculator-not-opening-in-windows-10-technical-preview-build-9926.aspx

I did have to remove the -AllUsers tag and I used a lowercase x as some suggested in order to get it to run

open powershell
right click on start 
select run
type in powershell

hit enter

in the powershell window run the following command

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

It apparently disables development mode and registers everything which appears to have been the issue with my taskbar.

All I know is I ran this command and my taskbar, calculator, and so much more are finally working.  I can even adjust my sound, and all those nice little things I always took for granted until I upgraded to windows 10....

All I can say is that this was not a good upgrade experience for me.

I wish everyone the best of luck with windows 10.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This solution, along with a reboot, worked for me.

Sorry this didn't help.