Windows 10, Synaptics touchpad settings lost on logout/reboot

Hello!

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, and am so far loving it far more than my old Windows 8.1 Pro.  However, probably due to the fact that Cortana is now brought up with a 3 or 4-finger tap, my previous Synaptics touchpad settings were changed.  So I accessed the Synaptics driver settings from "Additional Mouse Options" in Settings and turned off reverse scrolling direction, 3-finger flip, and tapping for 1-4 fingers.  But, whenever I log out and back in again or restart my laptop, the settings are reset again.

My touchpad is a PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad V7.5, with driver version 19.0.12.95.  I have removed and reinstalled the driver, and that did not work.

I feel bad for posting an issue with Windows 10 only being a few hours old, but the driver fix didn't work and the only relevant solution I could find online was for Windows 7 and involved disabling "KHALMNPR" from startup (and my computer has no "KHALMNPR" in its startup tasks).

Thanks in advance!  I hope I just missed something obvious...

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2018 Views 19,471 Applies to:
Answer

I think I found a fix!  After mucking around in the registry, trying all sorts of stuff, moving keys around, with some PARTIAL success but not totally satisfactory... something caught my eye...

Open up regedit.exe

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

Note this is LOCAL MACHINE, not CURRENT USER.

Look for a key in that Install folder called DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

Double click and change the value to 0

Now go back to the Synaptics control panel, set everything how you like, and reboot.  See if it holds.  It is holding on mine, still have to test on another computer.

So, this is a sign something weirder is going on behind the scenes, if the driver thinks it is "upgrading" after every reboot.... but anyway, if it works for now, good enough for me!

86 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.