Windows 10 PC crash and startup failure

Hello everybody,

Recently I just got Windows 10 Pro and it is running smoothly. However, for some reason, there are a few problems that occur with my PC (which is an ASUS K75VM that I bought 2 years ago) shortly after the upgrade.

First of all, it crashes quite frequently. It usually occurs during bootup, but then it also occurs after the bootup as well. There is no error or notification, the screen just freezes and turns black n white (kind of like white noise on television, if you get what I meant). I first suspect that it has something to do with my NVIDIA driver, but I am still able to run games normally without any problem (it is also up-to-date). I then try to disable my Wireless Adapter (which froze all of my USB ports and occasionally hindered the shutdown of the system when I was using Windows 7 before). It seems that when the adapter is turned off, I don't see any problem whatsoever. I have checked for newest Qualcomm Atheros driver but it seems that there isn't any version compatible for Windows 10 yet.

I also have some other issues during bootup as well. More than often, the laptop just functions for one or two first seconds after I press on the power button (fan running, and there is drive activities), but then, it doesn't continue anymore (fan stop working, no drive activities, and screen just stays black). It will reboot 5 seconds afterward, but the problem continues. I have to power off the PC to break free from the endless cycle, wait for a while, before booting the PC again. If I'm lucky, I can use my PC like I'm using right now.

I'd like to know the issues and how to fix it. I'm sending memory dump and the output of MSinfo here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BA4EF1B050563891!9572&authkey=!AOB4KOcqgatINY4&ithint=folder%2cnfo

If the file hasn't loaded yet, probably the OneDrive folder is still uploading.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Try with the methods below and check.

Method 1:I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Method 2:

Also, I would suggest you to perform a clean boot and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply,

I just did a system checkup and it found nothing. I did the clean boot twice and there is no problem turning up (aside from Windows Defender having found a malicious/corrupted old file and I have it removed, and I don't really believe that this file was the cause).

Since I don't know the cause of the crash (it did happen even with my wireless adapter off before I got to receive your reply), I will leave my PC running for a while. If it still crashes again I will post a feedback here, after doing another clean boot. Usually, my PC will crash or stop working if I leave it powered off for a while (so it took a few attempts to boot up again).

Hilariously, upgrading to Windows 10 solves the issue I had with my wireless adapter, which paralyzed all USB ports, hindering me from plugging in new devices and from shutting down the system as well. I believe the wireless adapter is working fine now.

Once again, thank you for the tips.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is still occurring. After a few tries, I find out that the crash occurs when I first power on after a while.

If I just leave the PC on without logging in (if it manages to get to the login screen without crashing) for a while, no such crash occurs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

DISM:   

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2023 Views 1,702 Applies to: