Windows 10 Display Configuration Lost on Reboot

After a Windows update yesterday I have been having issues with Windows retaining display configuration after a reboot. I have a dual monitor setup (laptop with an external display). I have been running Windows 10 without any problems for a few weeks now (I upgraded from Windows 8.1).

Before the update, if my machine's display setting is set to extend, when I would rebooted it, it would start back up in extend mode. After the update, if my machine's display setting is set to extend, when I reboot it, it sets itself to "Show only on 2". Oddly, if I logout and log back in, my machine goes back into extend mode. The same symptoms happen across all accounts after a reboot, and regardless of which account I originally login as, or which account I log back into after logging out, it always goes back to extend mode.

I have reached out to Microsoft's answer desk and their final solution was to either downgrade to Windows 8.1 (which shouldn't matter as this issue was non-existent for the few weeks that I have been using Windows 10) or to do a Reset (which seems to be a bit excessive).

The SFC scan didn't find any issues with my system and I tried removing system updates to see if I can get the correct behavior. The only one that I couldn't remove was KB3081441, not sure why but Windows just won't give me the option to uninstall it. And the description on Microsoft's kb article page seems to be something related to a Windows 10 compatibility update. I also uninstalled and reinstall my graphics drivers, as well as rolled the graphics drivers back to the previous version. However these symptoms still exist.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 23,047 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor. If you want to adjust your display settings, or if they were changed and you want to restore default settings, here are a few things you can try.

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link and see if that helps.

Get the best display on your monitor (Applies to Windows 10)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor. If you want to adjust your display settings, or if they were changed and you want to restore default settings, here are a few things you can try.

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link and see if that helps.

Get the best display on your monitor (Applies to Windows 10)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this answer. The issue is not related to choosing Windows choosing the "best" settings for my monitor, but rather that the multiple displays setting is changing itself from "Extend these displays" to "Show only on 2", every time I reboot. However if I logout and login, it changes back to "Extend these displays".

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar problem.  After installing software or maintenance and the system is rebooted, when I log in to my id, the desktop is back to a plain, extended version with taskbars on both monitors, standards background as opposed to my photos, etc.  The mouse is also dead.  If I use Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the task manager and then logout of the userid and then back in (I do not reboot), then everything is restored to my settings.  If I do a simple reboot without installing something, all appears to work. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

You may want to place the computer in clean boot state and check as this could be due to any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows        

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

With all regards, 

Windows sucked and still sucks big time in this display configuration. Compared to other modules, this looks like it had been made by a bunch of retards. 

174 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is an old thread but I was experiencing a similar issue and this came up in the search results.  There didn't seem to be a conclusive solution posted here so I thought I'd offer my two cents in case it might help someone.  

In my situation I'm using an NVIDIA graphics card.  Display 1 should be primary and Display 2 should be secondary but every time I would reboot the computer my primary display configuration would be lost.  Display 2 would become primary and Display 1 would become secondary and I would have to change the configuration settings after every reboot.

For me it turned out to be a driver conflict.  Windows 10 automatically downloads the Intel HD Graphics driver for the built in graphics card (which I'm not using) and there's nothing you can do to stop it.  If you uninstall the Intel driver it will keep coming back unless you download a separate tool from Microsoft to prevent Windows Update from downloading the driver.  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930)

Here's what fixed things for me:

Press Windows key + R

Type msconfig

Go to services tab

Check "Hide all Microsoft services"

Uncheck "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Service" (or something similar) to disable the Intel driver

Click Apply then click OK

Restart computer

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish this solution worked for me. Unfortunately my system does not have the Intel drivers installed. I have the most recent nvidia drivers and the integrated graphics have been disabled in the BIOS.

I know this is an old thread but I was experiencing a similar issue and this came up in the search results.  There didn't seem to be a conclusive solution posted here so I thought I'd offer my two cents in case it might help someone.  

In my situation I'm using an NVIDIA graphics card.  Display 1 should be primary and Display 2 should be secondary but every time I would reboot the computer my primary display configuration would be lost.  Display 2 would become primary and Display 1 would become secondary and I would have to change the configuration settings after every reboot.

For me it turned out to be a driver conflict.  Windows 10 automatically downloads the Intel HD Graphics driver for the built in graphics card (which I'm not using) and there's nothing you can do to stop it.  If you uninstall the Intel driver it will keep coming back unless you download a separate tool from Microsoft to prevent Windows Update from downloading the driver.  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930)

Here's what fixed things for me:

Press Windows key + R

Type msconfig

Go to services tab

Check "Hide all Microsoft services"

Uncheck "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Service" (or something similar) to disable the Intel driver

Click Apply then click OK

Restart computer

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This isn't helpful. I have 7 monitors on a single PC for trading stocks. As of the Windows 10 update 09/30/2016 three of my monitors are no longer recognized. The remaining four are out of order and it's hard to even find the cursor. Please don't tell me to check the connections and reboot and unplug and plug back in the power. Seriously does 7 monitors sound like I need instructions on monitor individual settings? I need real help on instructing the computer to recognize my monitors again. Please don't insult me with going to the "advanced display settings" and using "detect" either. let start after all that mundane 101 is already done. Now what?

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dito. I have three DisplayLink over USB3 monitors hooked up to my monitor. Everything worked fine until around the anniversary update. Post update I have to reposition all monitors and reset target resolutions. It's annoying and buggy as heck (it will refresh in the middle of attempting to bump my 4k down to 1080p avoid vmware display issues.) 

Nothing like kicking every day off by getting pissed off at my machine. 

I can't grasp why multi display port is so poor. I use to work at Microsoft. Almost everyone has at least two monitors and many of us had 4-5+. I won't even get started on the lack of allowing mapping ratios support from monitor to monitor to keep dialogs etc. in roughly the same position when going form very large to smaller monitors in a physical layout, or with different pixel density. Like allowing the internal model of monitors to include physical layout in addition to resolution layout is not that tricky of a problem to solve. 

/gripe. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a recurring problem about every other month or so.  I have an update at night on my Surface then when I get to work in the morning I find that my display configuration at work  has been COMPLETELY lost and everything is all screwed up.  Invariably I lose almost an entire morning getting the dual monitor display back to the proper settings.

Unacceptable.   Why in the world would an arrogant update scrap my entire display configuration?

Tough crap for me I guess.

These windows updates forced upon me are COSTLY and I have precious little time to screw with this every other month.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.