Windows 10 Desktop Icons Auto Arrange - PROBLEM

This appears to be a problem with MANY MANY people, however Microsoft has either yet to read their own forums or don't know how to fix this.  I briefly spoke with a Windows Technician on the phone last evening who said he had seen this problem before and was able to resolve it by creating a new profile.  Allow me to call **** - #1 when I create a new profile the problem still exists #2: Many people whom have posted about this issue also have created new profiles and still the problem exists.

Also - many people have said by doing a clean install it has resolved their issue - unfortunately if people read further and dig through the interwebs they will find many other people who have also said they did a clean install just to have the same issue arise again.

Symptom:

Upon reboot all icons are left justified and icon size is set to medium.  Size of icons can be changed to small, medium or large however upon another reboot - it defaults back to medium.  Also, option to Align to Grid is always checked upon reboot.  Auto arrange IS NOT CHECKED!  Icons will move where you place them on the desktop however upon pushing F5 or right clicking and selecting Refresh the icons all are re-justified back to the left as if Auto Arrange was on (IT IS NOT CHECKED HOWEVER).  Another symptom noticed via reading other articles on this - the setup of how explorer windows look (ie, show as list, details, thumbnails) is also always reset to default upon reboot.

What this issue has been found NOT to be:

This issue IS NOT a corrupt profile issue - Upon creating a new profile the SAME ISSUE EXISTS.

This issue IS NOT due to the View -> Auto-Arrange Icons being selected : IT IS NOT SELECTED!

This issue IS NOT due to old video drivers - most current video driver has been installed.

The one thing theses threads have not had included in it is what we are all using.  There must be some common denominator.  My home machine running Win 10 x64 Pro has this issue.  My machine at work running Win 10 x64 Ent does not have this issue (as of yet).

So - the affected machine:

Intel DZ68BC Motherboard

Intel i5 3.3 Processor

Video: nVidia GeForce GT 640 Video Card - Dual Monitors (One via HDMI and One via HDMI to DVI converter cable)

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

AV Software: eSet 6.2

Office: Yes - Pro Plus 2013

Misc Software: Steam, Dropbox, OneDrive, Dashlane, VMWare vSphere

Domain Attached: Yes

This is kind of a basic overview of what I have - perhaps the rest of you can chime in.

Also things I've tried:

Windows Updates are current.

This happened one time before and I did a system restore and resolved it for weeks.  Upon it rearing it's ugly head again I've attempted multiple System Restores - no luck.

I've tried updating / reinstalling video drivers - no luck.

I've attempted sfc /scannow - found corrupt files and fixed - still nothing

There was reference to deleting BAG registry entries - no luck

I have never used nor have ever had Fences installed on this PC.

I do use an application called TrueLaunchBar however have not found this to be in common with others having this same issue.

On a closing note: Please do not suggest third party applications to keep icons a certain way on the desktop - that is a workaround - NOT A SOLUTION.

MICROSOFT YOU NEED TO FIND AN ANSWER!

---PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING---

If you are someone who is also experiencing this issue - if you are going to reply could you also maybe add in some answers to the following information?

PC Maker (if not custom)

Motherboard manufacturer

CPU manufacturer and type

Video Card

Audio Card

Anti-Virus Software

Odd Misc software?  ie, Fences, TrueLaunchBar

How was Windows 10 installed - Clean Install/Upgrade (if so from what)

Did the issue start after an update?  Do you remember when?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, I have the same promlem, but I remember that it began after I install the hotspot shield and before it every thing work correctly!

I have windows 10 Ent.

Any chance you can add the following info in regards to your machine?

PC Maker (if not custom)

Motherboard manufacturer

CPU manufacturer and type

Video Card

Audio Card

Anti-Virus Software

Odd Misc software?  ie, Fences, TrueLaunchBar

How was Windows 10 installed - Clean Install/Upgrade (if so from what)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the same problem

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the exact same issue with no solution yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue but let me give some details on what's going on with me.

Specs:

CPU: i7-5930k

MOBO: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

MEM: GSkill DDR4 2400 32gigs

VID: MSI GTX 980ti

MONITOR: CTL 2800 4k (connected via - displayport), 32" TV Panasonic (connected via - HDMI)

When the monitors get powered off manually or via the OS and then turned on, regardless of the order in which they are turned on, my icons get rearranged, but not all of them.

If I turn on a screen saver and no not power off the monitors then they stay where I place them.

The icons do not change in size, not all of them get moved, but the ones that do get moved tend to be ones that I use somewhat frequently.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I hold the icon down to move it I get a "not allowed" sign. Tried everything like you have stated in the first post.

I do have Fences installed. All the icons i had in it are still there and working as they should in fences (arranged into groups in disappearing "fences" on the desktop; but no icon can now be moved from either the fence groups or the new program icon "top left" desktop placement.

Upgraded from 7 to 10 Pro. Had many hangups trying to install and finally did from usb, but even that didn't go smooth; many restarts from problems, but has seemed stable for a while.

I all so have two screens, and every time I restart they are switching places where my primary screen is left instead of right and instead of side by side mouse passing through the middle it goes from screen right, right side to screen left, left side. I have to keep switching screens around every time I restart.

I have a screen arrangement program called UltraMon that doesn't seem to be able to keep this in check either.

I have AMD Graphics card. Driver updated, although it wouldn't let me install their manager program, Catalyst, which I did have before (for managing screen placement and other graphics card settings).

Other note: I think at one point I did move an icon, and then I noticed the windows 10 install left my antivirus program, zone alarm, off and I had to install a updated version of it. That may have been when this icon issue started, but the screen arrangement problem has been every time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

I'm having the same problem.

Checked the auto arrange settings and off, tried toggling it just in case and still the icons rearrange themselves.

I've tried a couple of Icon Restore programs but they don't work either because after they places the icons in the correct place they typically force a desktop refresh, and the refresh simply rearranges the icons.

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 (not an upgrade) and everything was working fine until last weeks updates.  The update was KB3081455 (Cumulative update).  I've tried uninstalling it and that didn't fix anything.  Tried a system restore to a point when everything was working and still that hasn't resolved anything.

Tried deleting the IconCache as per (http://superuser.com/questions/499078/refresh-icon-cache-without-rebooting) but that doesn't work.

Tried sfc /scannow - no problems found.

Tried reinstalling the Graphics driver.

OS - Windows 10 (64 bit) - Fresh install and fully SP'd

CPU - Intel i5-2380P 3.1Ghz

Memory - 16Gb

MB - MSI B75MA-P45

BIOS - 1.90 (Latest version)

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT730 (Latest version, have tried reinstalling the driver but nope)

Connected to Domain and not via a MS Account.

AV - ESET

Other software install - MS Office 2013, DropBox, RoboForms, Chrome, Fireworks, Notepad++

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I hold the icon down to move it I get a "not allowed" sign. Tried everything like you have stated in the first post.

I do have Fences installed. All the icons i had in it are still there and working as they should in fences (arranged into groups in disappearing "fences" on the desktop; but no icon can now be moved from either the fence groups or the new program icon "top left" desktop placement.

Upgraded from 7 to 10 Pro. Had many hangups trying to install and finally did from usb, but even that didn't go smooth; many restarts from problems, but has seemed stable for a while.

I all so have two screens, and every time I restart they are switching places where my primary screen is left instead of right and instead of side by side mouse passing through the middle it goes from screen right, right side to screen left, left side. I have to keep switching screens around every time I restart.

I have a screen arrangement program called UltraMon that doesn't seem to be able to keep this in check either.

I have AMD Graphics card. Driver updated, although it wouldn't let me install their manager program, Catalyst, which I did have before (for managing screen placement and other graphics card settings).

Other note: I think at one point I did move an icon, and then I noticed the windows 10 install left my antivirus program, zone alarm, off and I had to install a updated version of it. That may have been when this icon issue started, but the screen arrangement problem has been every time.

I have heard that certain older versions of Fences cause this issue - people have been able to resolve their issue by uninstalling the older version and installing the newest version.  One of the reasons I spoke of Fences was because I saw a lot of chatter on this particular issue; some felt that it was the cause of the bigger problem when in fact it was simply a red herring.  However, I wanted to at least clue you in on this being the possible issue for your particular situation.

See the following:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/desktop-icons-will-not-move-after-upgrading-to/bd5f736b-ef41-405a-938d-2d7e65f3f440

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/lockingpinning-windows-10-desktop-icons-in-place/2880f7cd-0093-472d-ab3c-86d1a27f2203?page=2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue but let me give some details on what's going on with me.

Specs:

CPU: i7-5930k

MOBO: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

MEM: GSkill DDR4 2400 32gigs

VID: MSI GTX 980ti

MONITOR: CTL 2800 4k (connected via - displayport), 32" TV Panasonic (connected via - HDMI)

When the monitors get powered off manually or via the OS and then turned on, regardless of the order in which they are turned on, my icons get rearranged, but not all of them.

If I turn on a screen saver and no not power off the monitors then they stay where I place them.

The icons do not change in size, not all of them get moved, but the ones that do get moved tend to be ones that I use somewhat frequently.

What anti-virus do you use?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, WIndows 10 had been working fine but as of today all icons auto arrange no matter what.

Specs

CPU: Core i7-3820

Mobo: Intel DX79TO (Chipset: C600/X79 Patsburg)

Memory: Kingston 9905403-578.A00LF Memory Speed:  800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800) 16GB

VID: NVIDIA GeForce GT610

Monitor: Acer S240HL and DELL E171FPb

Anti-Virus:  ESET EndPoint AntiVirus (V5.0.2237.0)

Other Software: Office 365, Chrome, Firefox, TeamViewer, Go Top Assist, Exam software which are the products my company sell, SQL Express 2014, Oracle Virtual Box, Skype for Business, Scantrol OMR scanner driver and software plus the usual Acrobat reader and Notepad ++

This is a business PC, no other PC's in the office have been upgraded to 10 so wanted to make sure this issue gets addressed by Microsoft before we roll out to the office (and directors!!)

Do let me know if you need any other info and thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ever since I got a 1440p Monitor Windows 8 and 10 could not keep Icons the way I arranged them after reboot. It always aligns them to the left all randomly. No matter what setting Grid no grid, auto align no auto align etc..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 498 Applies to: