Windows 10 Desktop Icons Auto Arrange - PROBLEM

This appears to be a problem with MANY MANY people, however Microsoft has either yet to read their own forums or don't know how to fix this.  I briefly spoke with a Windows Technician on the phone last evening who said he had seen this problem before and was able to resolve it by creating a new profile.  Allow me to call **** - #1 when I create a new profile the problem still exists #2: Many people whom have posted about this issue also have created new profiles and still the problem exists.

Also - many people have said by doing a clean install it has resolved their issue - unfortunately if people read further and dig through the interwebs they will find many other people who have also said they did a clean install just to have the same issue arise again.

Symptom:

Upon reboot all icons are left justified and icon size is set to medium.  Size of icons can be changed to small, medium or large however upon another reboot - it defaults back to medium.  Also, option to Align to Grid is always checked upon reboot.  Auto arrange IS NOT CHECKED!  Icons will move where you place them on the desktop however upon pushing F5 or right clicking and selecting Refresh the icons all are re-justified back to the left as if Auto Arrange was on (IT IS NOT CHECKED HOWEVER).  Another symptom noticed via reading other articles on this - the setup of how explorer windows look (ie, show as list, details, thumbnails) is also always reset to default upon reboot.

What this issue has been found NOT to be:

This issue IS NOT a corrupt profile issue - Upon creating a new profile the SAME ISSUE EXISTS.

This issue IS NOT due to the View -> Auto-Arrange Icons being selected : IT IS NOT SELECTED!

This issue IS NOT due to old video drivers - most current video driver has been installed.

The one thing theses threads have not had included in it is what we are all using.  There must be some common denominator.  My home machine running Win 10 x64 Pro has this issue.  My machine at work running Win 10 x64 Ent does not have this issue (as of yet).

So - the affected machine:

Intel DZ68BC Motherboard

Intel i5 3.3 Processor

Video: nVidia GeForce GT 640 Video Card - Dual Monitors (One via HDMI and One via HDMI to DVI converter cable)

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

AV Software: eSet 6.2

Office: Yes - Pro Plus 2013

Misc Software: Steam, Dropbox, OneDrive, Dashlane, VMWare vSphere

Domain Attached: Yes

This is kind of a basic overview of what I have - perhaps the rest of you can chime in.

Also things I've tried:

Windows Updates are current.

This happened one time before and I did a system restore and resolved it for weeks.  Upon it rearing it's ugly head again I've attempted multiple System Restores - no luck.

I've tried updating / reinstalling video drivers - no luck.

I've attempted sfc /scannow - found corrupt files and fixed - still nothing

There was reference to deleting BAG registry entries - no luck

I have never used nor have ever had Fences installed on this PC.

I do use an application called TrueLaunchBar however have not found this to be in common with others having this same issue.

On a closing note: Please do not suggest third party applications to keep icons a certain way on the desktop - that is a workaround - NOT A SOLUTION.

MICROSOFT YOU NEED TO FIND AN ANSWER!

---PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING---

If you are someone who is also experiencing this issue - if you are going to reply could you also maybe add in some answers to the following information?

PC Maker (if not custom)

Motherboard manufacturer

CPU manufacturer and type

Video Card

Audio Card

Anti-Virus Software

Odd Misc software?  ie, Fences, TrueLaunchBar

How was Windows 10 installed - Clean Install/Upgrade (if so from what)

Did the issue start after an update?  Do you remember when?

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2020 Views 106,036 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

ok i tried the %SystemRoot%\system32\windows.stor­age.dll fix...and it worked! hopefully it will stay this way :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I used the regedit fix and i have to say its not the easiest thing to do... i would say it would be highly unlikely the standard person could do this

as was said before, it requires a proper fix

Sorry this didn't help.

Not everyone bothers to report the issue as they just try to work with it, but it is frustrating.  I know of at least 5 people who are asking me if I have heard of a solution.  They are not I.T. savvy and are hoping Microsoft will find a solution eventually.  I think the problem is more widespread.

I "work" many tech support forums and have only seen a couple threads on it. If you do a Google search of windows 10 icons keep moving you will see only a couple apply to Windows 10 and dated in 2015.

There have been 100 million users upgraded to Windows 10 already in the last 2 months with what appears to be less than 100 users complaining of this problem. So it is not widespread at all.

No doubt this is frustrating for those with this problem, but with so few affected, Microsoft may not be able to duplicate the problem yet. I note earlier in this thread someone quoted a post from someone from (or claiming to be from) ESET saying they were able to duplicate the problem.

This was significant because many with this problem use or used ESET products. While not all used ESET suggesting it was not exclusive to ESET, it still suggests something ESET did (that other programs may have too) was at the root and a fix for ESET users might help others. But sadly, we have not heard from ESET yet.

ESET has NOT been excluded! We just know that it is not exclusive to ESET!  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I agree but from those 100 milion users I  am sure that most of them they can not see the issue.if I am going to let my icons on auto arrange option of the windows there is not issue. Is not visible. And if I am going to ask all this users to move there icons I am sure there are going to be a lot getting to this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I agree but from those 100 milion users I  am sure that most of them they can not see the issue.if I am going to let my icons on auto arrange option of the windows there is not issue. Is not visible. And if I am going to ask all this users to move there icons I am sure there are going to be a lot getting to this problem.

I don't think that is really true. Who lets icons be placed on their desktop, then not move them to where they want them?

So it is not that they cannot "see" the issue, it that they don't have it! If it was as easy to see as you suggest, then it would have been easy for Microsoft and just about everyone else to duplicate it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes.

I been asked many times from people like"how can create a folder on my desktop" or "how can I create a shortcut". This users are never gone notice any cind of problem.users that if they gone heave one icon missing from the desktop the gone call an IT to fix it. And are a lot. And they not gone use any forum or search the web how to find solutions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes.

I been asked many times from people like"how can create a folder on my desktop" or "how can I create a shortcut". This users are never gone notice any cind of problem.users that if they gone heave one icon missing from the desktop the gone call an IT to fix it. And are a lot. And they not gone use any forum or search the web how to find solutions.

Not sure your point. Yes, there are users who don't know how to do such things. But creating folders or shortcuts on desktops has been a simple right-click option in Windows going back to Windows 95 days. So if someone today is using W10 and does not know how to create a desktop shortcut, then they are VERY VERY new to Windows, and hardly represent the "many".

But I was not talking about user-created icons (though it is true of them too). Most programs when you install them, will place a shortcut on your desktop unless you choose the custom install option and purposely opt-out of the desktop shortcut. And most users will then drag that shortcut to where they want it. Those are the folks we are talking about here and they are, by far, the vast majority of users.

If this were a widespread problem as you seem to want to believe, and because there are already 100 million W10 users, there would be millions and millions of users complaining about this. It would be all over PC World, PCMag, and the bloggers and Microsoft haters would be stirring up a huge fuss about this and Microsoft would be scrambling to get it fixed because it would be happening to many of their computers too. You must realize that essentially everyone of the 118,000 employees at MS is using W10 and if widespread, they would be seeing and reporting widespread problems with this too. But it is NOT happening!

So again, I know it is frustrating and I am sure Microsoft is aware of it, but with it affecting so few and having nothing to do with security, there are still many more higher priority issues to fix first. They will get to, I have no doubts. But we must be patient. It is really just a minor annoyance that does not prevent us from using our computers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not sure it will happend. I don't think ms it will go out and it will say sorry we heave same problem in our pc and even our employers the same issue. You think they going to di something like that to kill there product? And is not w10 it was the same problem with w7 and w8. Is not something that just it happen yesterday.  Is an issue that is going on for years.and yes is an important issue from the moment I PAY for this product.I am a customer for them like all of us and fromantic our money is the reason they heave a job today. So for the moment I pay for a faulty product I expect from them to fix it.my time is  important. Spending it on forums trying to get a solution for something that i pay and I expect to work is not make me happy.

Sorry this didn't help.

so what happened with the regedit fix? i did this yesterday and it worked, today i turned it on and its back on the left side again???

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not sure it will happend. I don't think ms it will go out and it will say sorry we heave same problem in our pc and even our employers the same issue. You think they going to di something like that to kill there product? And is not w10 it was the same problem with w7 and w8. Is not something that just it happen yesterday.  Is an issue that is going on for years.and yes is an important issue from the moment I PAY for this product.I am a customer for them like all of us and fromantic our money is the reason they heave a job today. So for the moment I pay for a faulty product I expect from them to fix it.my time is  important. Spending it on forums trying to get a solution for something that i pay and I expect to work is not make me happy.

Nah, this is just griping now. You are expecting Microsoft to apologize for every single little bug in their millions of lines of code? That's silly - especially when, at this point in time, there is no evidence the problems is on their side. W10 has been out to developers for many months for them to make the necessary drivers and updates to their software - it is not Microsoft's fault if they did not do complete testing.

This is not the same problem as in the past or the fixes used in the past would have fixed it. And I note the causes in the past have not been and one thing. Upgrading the graphics driver, for example, fixed it for some. Security programs have blocked saving those settings too. Those are not Microsoft problems and so far, there is nothing at this to say this is Microsoft's fault either - since millions and millions of users are not experiencing this. I am a tech support guy and I know of no one personally having this problem. None of my computers are doing it. None of client's computers, or my family, friends or neighbors are complaining about this. So that is many dozens of computers and not one is having this problem.

Yes, I have seen icons move around but for me, simply right-clicking then selecting Refresh sets them so they stay fixed after reboots. Again, if there was something wrong with Windows 10, there would be millions and millions of Windows 10 users complaining and so would the IT press. And that is just not happening.

Sorry this didn't help.