Win 10 does not show start menu and all programs loaded on my desktop computer

Upgrading  Win 10 64bit  everything looked good. 

After a while the START window which is activated by  clicking on the WINDOWS sign  left corner did not show the START window.

This  stops the access to  many functions such as : Entering all stored programs, Snipping tool, Fax, settings etc.

Please see the image below which shows the missing window ( the pictures was taken from my laptop which works fine on WIN 10).

Please help

Hi Avigdor,

To further isolate your concern, we'd like to clarify the following information:

• When was the last time Start Menu is working fine?
  • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration?

Let us try the methods below and observe.

First Method: Run System File Checker.

System File Checker is a Window utility that allow users to scan for and restore corruptions in Window system files. Please follow the steps below to run SFC scan:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager.
  2. From the File menu, select Run new task.
  3. Type cmd and put a check mark on Create this task with administrative privileges.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Type this sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Second Method: Execute a PowerShell command.

Please follow these steps:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager.
  2. From the File menu, select Run new task.
  3. Type powershell and put a check mark on Create this task with administrative privileges.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Paste the following command and hit Enter :

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Antoneth Ber:

• When was the last time Start Menu is working fine?

On WIN 7 I had a support program to work with WIN-X which I delegated when first updating to Win 10. This apparently did not cause problems. however a few weeks later the WIN 10 reverted to the present situation.

About 2 month ago, I think after a big update was installed, WIN 10 worked fine. However after few days it reverted again to the present situation.

I notice now a comment which appears when first WIN 10 comes up, after I place my password.

Another instance is running

Configuration system failed to initialize

• Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration?

I guess I did but do not recall any particular action.

Maybe the program "Auslogics BoostSpeed" which I used a number of times in the past on WIN 7 and now also on WIN10 (the program notes that it is also suitable for WIN10) might have disrupted the WIN 10.

• First Method
  • Type this sfc /scannowand hit Enter.

I tried it but it noted, no errors found

•   Second Method: Execute a PowerShell command.

It read after inserting the line:

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -                disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

PS C:\windows\system32>

There was no action.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To further isolate if there are corrupted files in the current user profile that causes the problem, let us try to create a new user profile on you PC. For instructions, please check this article: Create a user account in Windows.

Note: If the new user account was already created, check if Start Menu will now work.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Antoneth Ber
 Thank you for your reply
I am unable to follow the advice in your reply:

"Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap  "Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)" 

On my computer I cannot see the options reached when right clicking "Microsoft symbol" with the mouse on the desktop. (only left clicking does work)
Trying to reach Settings by:  "Microsoft symbol   +I "   does not make a suitable setting accessible, per your advice. 

Is there another way to make this change on WIN 10?

It seems to me that the defects in my WIN10 are much bigger than just changing the user name. I think that a solution which will not require reformation the computer should be available.

Sincerely,
Avigdor Kuck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Avigdor,

We are going to try to create a new account just to see if it has the same problem. Afterwards we change your account to the new one.

So we have to open a command prompt as administrator, here are some ways to do that:

- Open any folder  click on file in the menu and on the small triangle near command prompt and run as administrator

- Press winkey + X and click on command prompt (administrator)

-open task manager alt+ctrl+canc > task manager > menu File > run new task (tick "run as administrator" > write cmd

In the command prompt write:

net user name1 /add

Now disconnect from your account press alt+ F4 and choose disconnect or change user (with arrow keys) and press enter.

Log into your computer with this new user and we will see if the start menu works and proceed from there.

Let me know,

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

RE: SRX1363913310ID – Microsoft

Hi Antoneth Ber

Yesterday YANIV from Microsoft support called me at noon, trying to help me fix my problem.

He promised to send me detailed instructions how to UPGRADE my WIN10 installation. My WIN10 does not respond to a LEFT click on the window symbol on the lower left line of the tool bar. He also suggested to "take remote control" of my computer in order to enable the Technical Support to better identify my problem. He also noted to send all commands in English because my installation in in English. (Explanations can be in Hebrew)

Apparently this advice is still in the making because I did not get it. Can you please expedite this respond?

Sincerely

Avigdor Kuck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

RE: SRX1363913310ID – Microsoft

Hi Antoneth Ber

Yesterday YANIV from Microsoft support called me at noon, trying to help me fix my problem.

He promised to send me detailed instructions how to UPGRADE my WIN10 installation. My WIN10 does not respond to a LEFT click on the window symbol on the lower left line of the tool bar. He also suggested to "take remote control" of my computer in order to enable the Technical Support to better identify my problem. He also noted to send all commands in English because my installation in in English. (Explanations can be in Hebrew)

Apparently this advice is still in the making because I did not get it. Can you please expedite this respond?

Sincerely

Avigdor Kuck

RE: SRX1363913310ID

Dec 15.12.2016

Hi David

I tried your  proposal listed in your note of Dec 2. ( frankly I am scared to be left without a working computed but I did try...)

By right clicking  the Wing-key on the extreme left  of the tool bar

I managed to get into CMR  and typed :  net user name1 /add

then pressed alt+F4 and entered. The WIN10 box came up with the option: change user option, which I applied.

The computer came up, The regular desktop page appeared but the mouse got stuck in the middle of the display. 

By restarting,  the computer came up again, with working mouse - but nothing changed in the performance from day one - no respond to a LEFT click on the window symbol on the lower left line of the tool bar

Sincerely

Avigdor Kuck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2021 Views 637 Applies to: