Why do Windows 10 graphics look so bad?

I just upgraded to Windows 10 (from 7), and the graphics and fonts EVERYWHERE look terrible; I'm on a ThinkPad T61, and the icons and fonts and everything went from nice-looking to pixelated... text is almost unreadable in browsers (see screenshot). My resolution stayed at 1440x1050, which looked perfectly fine on Windows 7 (though text was more readable on XP).

Why did Microsoft decide to majorly overhaul their interface again? Even the icons are flat and amateurish-looking, the taskbar boxes are all the same color, there's hardly any separators between elements ANYWHERE, everything's just sort of floating around everywhere, no raised look or anything, everything's just a big blob.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2020 Views 8,227 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Change the font and color settings from the Settings menu in your browser

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree that the graphics look much better on Windows 7.  But:

1. Fancy graphics require more processing power.
  2. You don't really appreciate them on small-screen tablet devices

So in order to have a version of Windows that runs on both tablet devices (with small screens and "small" processors) and computers with larger screens Microsoft dumbed-down the graphics.  If you read the Feedback there is quite a big demand to bring back (as an option) the "aero" look of Windows 7.  We'll see if Microsoft listens to its customers this time. 

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is not the case. There is no reason MS could not have included appropriate graphics for each level of device and the code to switch as required. Being that you would only need to install different images for different platforms, it would be very straightforward.

My personal conspiracy theory is that MS don't want users of low powered devices complaining that the screen on their friends PC looks so much better than theirs does on their phone or tablet.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What's not the case?  For whatever reason, Microsoft wants Windows to have a uniform plain bland look across all devices, large and small.  That's a complete volte-face from the time of Windows Vista & 7 when they strove for a very sophisticated look.  If you go to Windows Feedback you will see a lot of people don't like the change.    

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

"So in order to have a version of Windows that runs on both tablet devices (with small screens and "small" processors) and computers with larger screens Microsoft dumbed-down the graphics. "

They had other choices if that was the reason for the change. They could have implemented different images for different devices so the dumb devices could use simple images and those with more power could use complex images and compositing like Aero Glass or a fully 3 dimensional interface for even. Saw some work on this many years ago, but it's gone quiet.

I think it's also got a lot to do with supporting people with different devices. If they all look the same you don't need to employ smart helpdesk people.

It would be nice if MS could just tell us what the real reasons are and end all the discussion.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't agree with this explanation. I have windows 8 on my personal laptop and despite graphics are made to be the same for tablet devices the win 8 ones look better than the windows 10 that has been installed on my work machine (upgrade from Win 7). Both laptops are lenovos and my work machine has a smaller screen. I am slightly astigmatic and am shortsighted, and I really feel horrible about thinking to have to work with a computer with such low graphics because I find it difficult to read things on it: I tried to adjust the cleartype settings too many times already and I am getting nowhere. I read so many good reviews on how win 10 is better than 8. Well the graphic part alone puts me off because it will make my daily life a nightmare. Look, I never had a problem with graphics with Win 2.3, win 95, win 98, win xp, win vista, win 7, win 8: why the heck do I have to have problems with Windows 10?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If fancy graphics require more processing power, why does Windows 10 run slower (lower or choppy frame rate) on older computers than Windows 7? If it's less graphics and processing, it should run faster. I also notice Windows 10 uses more RAM than Windows 7.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought maybe it would grow on me. But to me Windows 10 UI is still ugly and I know its because Microsoft decided it wanted more zing then bling. But some older Linux desktops look way better then Win 10 now. I used to think Mac OS was pretty boring, but compared to Win 10 it's looking a lot more appealing. Windows 10 just looks cold, sterile, not appealing at all. Very rigid and blocky sharp corners and faded colors. You have those wonderful and vibrant pictures on lock screen and yet when you get working in Windows 10 it's such a let down. 

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If fancy graphics require more processing power, why does Windows 10 run slower (lower or choppy frame rate) on older computers than Windows 7? If it's less graphics and processing, it should run faster. I also notice Windows 10 uses more RAM than Windows 7.

Just more processes running which I think is why Microsoft dumped the visuals and replaced it with more system functions. If you ever used Windows 7 the visuals in Windows 10 are a complete let down. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally agree that Windows 10 is a piece of carp. And it implied the downfall of Microsoft. RIP Microsoft.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.