Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2018 Views 7,671 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We recommend to uninstall and reinstall your Firefox to isolate the issue, that will replace any missing or damaged files.

Keep us updated with the results.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi as previously stated this issue is not isolated to firefox it occurs with edge as well if it is set to the default browser. It does not matter what I use as a default browser this issue of randomly opening to msn occurs. A little help please.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So any ideas why this is occurring? I tried uninstalling reinstalling firefox but no change. The only thing I've found that apparently solves this issue is a registry hack, but I shouldn't have to alter the registry to stop msn from opening at random times. This seems to be a windows issue that many people are having trouble with so a solution would be nice. I've never actually gone onto the msn website there is nothing I want on there this lack of response from microsoft makes it seem as if they are trying to force it on me which isn't right. Again a little help with this issue please.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

* Merged *

Hi no matter what I have set as my default web browser it opens randomly by itself to MSN homepage. I've checked for viruses and found none, tried uninstalling reinstalling web browsers to no effect even restored my pc to an earlier time only for the issue to return. I've seen some people have altered the registry to stop this happening, but surely there is a fix that doesn't involve a registry hack? As this seems to be a windows issue I was hoping you could help? thanks

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In the Settings, every browser has a setting to set your Home page.

If it won't set or stay set, run full scans with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcle...

Remove any Add-on's, Extensions or other Search services in Browser settings.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19, Moderator

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue occurs no matter what browser I use firefox edge chrome etc. Whatever is set as my default browser randomly opens to MSN which is not my homepage (thats google and I know how to set a homepage thats not the issue) I have never even been onto MSN. Please actually read the question it does help. So again what windows component is triggering whatever I use as a default browser to open to MSN with no user interaction?

Sorry this didn't help.

I told you what to do .  Now do the steps I gave and report back the results if you want help here.

I help people by the thousands and every one who cooperates and is polite gets their problem solved.

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Sorry this didn't help.

None of what you've suggested relates to my issue. Please put me through to your manager your first response was "snarky" and you've only gotten worse great customer service.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You said your browser was being hijacked by MSN which isn't a browser but a web page.  It's somehow set as your Home Page, probably because something like Bing was added.  I told you all ways this can be removed.  If you won't follow the steps then I can't help you. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I said whatever is set as my default browser firefox edge chrome etc randomly opens with no user interaction to MSN, my homepage in all of them is google, MSN never sets itself as my homepage. Why is my default browser randomly opening to MSN all by itself? This has absolutely nothing to do with what is set as my homepage nor which browser I am using (MSN isn't a browser who said it was). There is a registry hack that fixes the issue but I'm trying to find out which windows component is causing it as I'd rather not hack the registry.

Sorry this didn't help.