Timeline Activity not showing up

The timeline activity just won't show up on the timeline window. I always get "Use your PC more for activities."

I have enabled the settings required for timeline in Privacy > Activity History:

Let Windows collect my activities

Let Windows Sync my activities

Show activities from accounts

I also tried using regedit to add these variables in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

• EnableActivityFeed
  • PublishUserActivities
  • UploadUserActivities

All the variables are set to 1, and are DWORD values. (as stated in this article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/timeline-feature-not-working-windows), to no effect.

Any more troubleshooting steps I can go through?

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2019 Views 1,387 Applies to:
Perform a repair upgrade, this has been known to resolve whatever issues that might prevent Timeline from working:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just tried this. Unfortunately did not work. I do however get a notification saying "Resume activity from other devices" when I reboot, however when I click on More, I get the timeline window with "Use your PC to see your activities here".

Sorry this didn't help.

Perform a repair upgrade, this has been known to resolve whatever issues that might prevent Timeline from working:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

I tried everything the OP mentioned and then did a repair install as you suggested, using the latest Media Creation Tool download to an ISO file.  It did not make any difference.  Funny thing is that I can see my activity if I log in to the Microsoft website with the activity dashboard, so I know the data is being collected and uploaded.  It just doesn't show up in timeline on the PC.  Right now I have temporarily switched to a local account to see if makes any difference.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the identical problem.  Task View works as it did before the 1803 Upgrade, it shows only open apps.  Timeline doesn't work at all.

And my activities are also shown in MS online.

Creating a local user account showed the same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why do the supposed MVP's at this site give crappy solutions that rarely work? Also, with problems such as the timeline not showing, why doesn't Microsoft have solutions instead of the hit-and-miss gimmicks presented by these self-described experts?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "final" step that worked for me after restarting my pc several times:

Check your settings in privacy, verify registry entries, then [SHUTDOWN] and cold boot it.

Using [restart] would not make things work for me, but after a shutdown the timeline feature began to work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dies anything ever actually work on the myriad problems that Microsoft creates or is aware of since the introduction of Win 10 and its updates? The solutions that nembers give only work for themselves and a few others. At least they work better than the stalling tactics and countless question-asking that the so-called Microsoft Community gurus provide. I fault no one but Microsoft for these problems. They don’t care if Windows 10 works correctly for customers because these issues should be relatively easy for them to correct. I guess the almighty dollar is more important than the loyal customers that spend their dollars and contribute to the huge coffers of the Redmond Gang.

Sorry this didn't help.