Speakers Crackling since Windows 10 update

I just updated to Windows 10. Since updating my speakers have started making a small crackling sound. They didn't do that when I had Windows 8.1. Just started doing it once I got the update. I have went in and did all of the troubleshooting that I can. Also went into Device Manager and updated the sound driver. Neither of those helped. Not sure what else I could do besides maybe trying to uninstall the sound driver and letting windows reinstall it on it's own? If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 16,574 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I just updated to Windows 10. Since updating my speakers have started making a small crackling sound. They didn't do that when I had Windows 8.1. Just started doing it once I got the update. I have went in and did all of the troubleshooting that I can. Also went into Device Manager and updated the sound driver. Neither of those helped. Not sure what else I could do besides maybe trying to uninstall the sound driver and letting windows reinstall it on it's own? If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks
I managed to resolve this problem by resetting the Default Audio settings in the Dell Audio application on my laptop. I reduced the settings to CD and DVD Quality. The sound is now working with no crackling.  

60 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have an HP computer,but I have tried putting everything back to the default settings as well. Even uninstalled the driver from my computer and then reinstalled it. It helped somewhat, but not fully. I also noticed that the only time I really hear the crackling bad is when I am watching videos on Youtube. Maybe it has something to do with their site? If that is even possible, I'm not really sure.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dell XPS 15 l501x, and I experience speaker crackling when there is a lot of bass while watching videos or listening to music. Drivers up to date. Tried setting the Dell Audio to default. No joy.

The speakers worked fine with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. The issue began immediately after the upgrade to Windows 10.

Changing to Window's generic High Definition Audio Driver instead of Realtek's reduced the crackling substantially, but not entirely.

[EDIT]: After further use, the crackling seems as bad as it did before.

[EDIT]: I downloaded and installed the old Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version 6.0.1.6312 [2/18/2011]) and installed that instead of the latest version (Version 6.0.1.7535 [6/16/2015]) or Windows 10's generic High Definition Audio Driver. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! Joy!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine crackle even on videos where people are just talking. I have tried changing the drivers from Realtek to Window's and nothing. Had three different HP support techs take over my computer and do all kinds of updating and everything, it still didn't help. I haven't even had this computer for 7 months and it was working great until the windows 10 update. I don;t understand why they would put an update out if it isn't going to be compatible with all drivers and systems for Windows. I have spent more time updating drivers and things on my computer over the last month than I have actually getting to use my computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried all the advice on the help faq, and nothing worked.

I finally reverted to the old sound driver (for me, Realtek High Definition Audio). That fixed the problem. Not sure if that would work for you or not. Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just did the Windows 10 update and my speakers SUCK now!  I can't figure out how to fix this...but I can't watch videos without wanting to throw my computer out the window.  HELP!

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After all this time (SHAME), I still have this issue. I have Windows 1511 and a Creative Soundblaster PCI Gamer*whatever*. Often when watching videos in the browser. I don't know when but sometimes it starts crackling a bit, getting worse and then a heart-attack causing beeping-massacre and it is fine again.

I can solve it manually (so don't wait for the monster-beeping) by deactivating the default speakers and activate them again. But this sucks, too, because when hearing mp3 over HTTP in Edge there is a message "No audio device" and I can't see at which position the mp3 is.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too struggled with this issue for sometime, no sound or sound with pauses crackling always present in the background.

The problem started with current build of Windows 10, Version 1703. (OS Build 15063.674). Installing old OEM driver also did not work.

My speakers which are connected to back the panel Jacks had this issue.

Threw old speakers out from window. Used USB Premium head-set. Crackling sound disappeared dramatically.

Lesson learned. If nothing works, upgrade hardware.

Sorry this didn't help.

If I remember correctly, I installed a new updated driver for the speakers.  The crackling went away.

Sorry this didn't help.

This very annoying a Recent  Windows 10 update, version 1709  has brought back the crackles and pops I had some time ago can't remember how it went away I tried everything last time ,also it caused my PC to freeze and had to reinstall everything again  Windows 10 is such a pain at times but love it just the same.

Sorry this didn't help.