Snip & Sketch broken for me.

So I'm having an issue with my Snip and Sketch not working. whenever I go to click the button in the notification pop out it says "you'll need an app to open this ms-screenclip link" and my only option is to search the Microsoft app store and when i click that button nothing shows up. The app still exist on my computer and when I go to make a snip directly from there I get the same prompt. When I do Win+Shitf+S nothing happens. 

So far I have Deleted the app and reinstalled it, then I "reset" the app in the app advance option. neither of those worked. The app was working perfectly fine last week, the only major change that happened to the computer was do to a little accident I had to Swap out the CPU cause it got damaged but I replaced it with the same model CPU and everything else is working fine but this program. I'm hoping someone has a simple solution to this because I don't really want to reinstall windows for one app to work properly and I'm not a fan of third party apps anymore this one worked so nicely when it was working...
Hi HonorableLoki -

This is Orlando, an Independent advisor and an expert with Windows 10. I understand that the application snip & sketch is not working properly on your computer.

Snip & Sketch application came pre-installed with Windows 10 so re-registering all store apps and repair system files might fix the issue.
Please follow the steps below that might help us repair the application on your computer.

Method 1: Perform SFC Scan and Repair Windows Image
-This process will perform scan for any corrupted system files or integrity violation and will attempt to repair it along with the Windows Image.

1. Open command prompt with administrator access
2. Type each command below and wait until scan is completed.

* sfc /scannow
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Quick note: While the command is running, it's expected to see the process stuck at 20 or 40 percent. After a few minutes, the process will complete successfully.

Once you complete the steps, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool will connect to the Windows Update servers to download and replace any damaged files in the local image for Windows 10 as necessary.

3. Close the command prompt.

Method 2: RE-registering all Store Apps
-This process will re-register all downloaded app on store including those that came pre-build on computer.

1. Open powershell with administrator access
2. Type the below command and press enter

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3. Wait for the process to complete and try to open the app.

Method 3: Perform system restore
-This process will take your computer settings back to an earlier point in time where computer is working fine. If there's any changes made on your computer that removes the service, system restore should be able to fix the issue for you. To perform system restore please follow the steps below:

1. Open the run box by pressing the Windows key + R and type rstrui.exe
2. Once system restore windows open, normally it will suggest a restore point (sometimes it doesn't) if it does, select the 2nd option and hit next
3. Select your desired restore point date and time and hit next and finish.

Windows will going to restart your computer to initiate system restore. System restore might take several minutes to complete depending on the current speed of your computer and the changes it will made. Applications and updates that was installed on the computer prior to the date selected will be removed. It is important that when system restore starts, process must not be interrupted.

System Restore Disclaimer:
Though system restore will not affect any personal files on your computer there are some rare instances wherein personal files might be removed or deleted while system restore perform its operation so it is advisable to backup your data on an external media just to make sure that your files will be safe.

Method 4: Create a new local administrator account
-This process will create a new local administrator account on computer to check if the issue is within your user profile only.

1. Open command prompt with administrator access
2. Type each command below and press enter

*To crate a new user profile
net user (account name) /add >> change the (account name) to your desired user profile name

*To make the created account as part of your administrator
net localgroup administrators (account name) /add >> change the (account name) to the name you put in step 2.

3. Switch to the new user profile and check if the snip & sketch is working properly.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Thanks,
Orlando Q.
Independent Advisor

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

None of these worked for me.

I tried every method except resetting my computer as this was the action that caused the problem in the first place. This is the message that keeps popping up for me:

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! This was what worked for me:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallL
ocation
)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 676 Applies to: