Show windows side-by-side / stacked Bug

Since I upgraded to windows 10 the show windows side by side command available from right clicking on the taskbar has been bugged. 

The problem is that instead of arranging the windows so that they take up all the available space, it is acting like there are some "invisible windows" as well, like in the attached picture

In this particular case it acts as if there are 6 open windows when there are in fact 2, but his number varies from time to time.

I have noticed that when i first start the computer the problem does not occur but after some time it starts.

I have had this problem ever since I did a clean install, even prior to installing any additional programs.

There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary running in the task manager.
Snapping works fine.

I find this problem very frustrating and I would rather not have to reinstall windows, because i have spent the past week reinstalling all the programs I use for my university and work and it is quite a tedious and time consuming task.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

I also tried doing the same, unfortunately this is how it works. I suggest you to leave the feedback about this using Windows Feedback app.

Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I highly doubt that this is how it is intended to work because it is counter-productive and not like the way it used to work in the past many versions on windows. I have also been able to confirm it occurs in other computers as well.

Maybe you could report the bug to the developer team?

Thank you for your time!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How can yet another basic mess up by Microsoft be described as "this is how it works" How it works is the way the consumer wants it to work. So many of Microsoft upgrades contain backward steps which Microsoft just impose.

The "bugs" are not obscure things they are mostly basic requirements that are tested on the public. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. However, I found a way to work around it – at least temporarily: using the Task Manager, end the "Windows Shell Experience Host" process (it will be automatically restarted at once) and then restart the "Windows Explorer" process 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

I also tried doing the same, unfortunately this is how it works. I suggest you to leave the feedback about this using Windows Feedback app.

Regards,

This is not how its supposed to work!!!!!!! When I first boot up sometimes it works correctly and puts the windows side by side filling up the whole screen.  Sometimes it covers 2/3 of the screen and sometimes it stacks the windows on top of each other. There is no way it is supposed to do that. When is Microsoft  going to fix this bug?  When are they going to fix the Realtek drivers bug. I get no sound with the Realtek divers. I can only get sound if I use the Microsoft high definition drivers. Windows keeps installing the Realtek drivers from Windows update and I keep losing my sound and have to re-install the Microsoft hi definition drivers.

There is a way to get around the side by side bug. You press the windows key and the left cursor key at the same time then press enter. You will have 2 windows side by side filling up the whole screen with no space between them.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a way to get around the side by side bug. You press the windows key and the left cursor key at the same time then press enter. You will have 2 windows side by side filling up the whole screen with no space between them.

I am already snapping windows if I only have 2 of them, the problem is then i have 3 or more windows to view side by side.

It has been two months and this has not been addressed yet. It is one of my few gripes with an otherwise great product and it is a shame that these gripes make Windows 7 a better overall experience for me...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The functionality of displaying multiple non-minimized Windows at the same time on the display evenly and taking up the full display, and with the ability to work in any one of the displayed windows without disrupting the display is a very basic function. There are way too many threads on this one same issue which has many subsets (Snap Feature, Drag and Display, Touch Screen Functionality, Short-cut key functionality, ...).

There needs to be separate threads for each separate issue, as the cross chatter becomes way to confusing in a single thread. Posters need to search the Community before creating a thread, and pick the applicable thread for input.

My focus is to be able to right click on the task bar (after having minimized those windows that are open that I do not want to display), and then select either "show windows side by side" or show windows stacked, and have the non-minimized windows display as selected, evenly and taking up the full screen.

Microsoft needs to address this functionality head on with an update to the Windows 10 OS, and not with work arounds.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is still not working correctly, I sure hope that first moderator didn't mark this as solved and with his very very wrong answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem seems to be caused by some applications that keep running in the background and, although their windows are not visible, when the "Show windows side by side" function is invoked, their invisible windows are taken into account and actually occupy an area – I am pretty sure there is a name for this type of applications, but I ignore it. The fact that irritates me is that most of these applications are launched by the OS or by other applications, not by me! Anyway... I eventually worked around the problem writing a batch file that kills all these applications, kills ShellExperienceHost (going to be restarted automatically), and then restarts explorer. Please find the code of my "killer.bat" file below. The list of the applications is not complete: every once in a while I find a new one and I add to it. 

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq Alarms & Clock"

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq Calculator"

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq Cortana"

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq People"

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq Photos"

taskkill /f /fi "windowtitle eq Movies & TV"

taskkill /f /im ShellExperienceHost.exe

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting, but then the services/applications killed will not be available.

I assume that after you did the above, that the Window display (side by side, and stacked) displayed properly for active non-minimized applications (correct?)

However, even if there is a work-around, or Band-Aid fix, the point is, Microsoft needs to FIX the problem in Windows 10 with an Update. Users should not have to write code to make Windows work.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 6,100 Applies to: