Printer/Scanner Problem Windows 10 Compatibility

I just had my laptop upgraded to Windows 10. I have a printer/scanner that used to work well with my Windows 8.1 laptop, now after I upgraded to Windows 10, believing that there will be no issues like these, my laptop can't detect my scanner now (or the scanner-part of my printer). So what should I do? I don't want to regret upgrading my laptop to Windows 10, and so far I am. (Note : I've been able to print. Only the scanning thing has a problem)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

Could you provide us the make and model of the Printer/Scanner? You can visit the manufacturer website and download the latest drivers and check if it helps.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hi, I had the exact same problem. I have a multifunction printer/scanner and it would only recognise the printer. If you click the add printer or device button in 'hardware and sound' it should detect your multi function device. click yes to use the existing driver, and the new device will show up and allow access to the scanner part of the device.

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Post the model printer-scanner and also how the scanner is attached to the network or the computer--directly or wirelessly.  Scanning software is available at the printer manufacturer's site. That should be installed to get the scanner to work. Windows can supply drivers in most cases, but not the scanning utility. My Epson AIO could not use the drivers from the manufacturer, but would not scan until the software was installed.

You probably know that wireless scanning cannot be done unless the printer-scanner is connected to the router, not connected to another computer on the network. Printers can be shared if connected to another computer, but not scanners.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still am unable to scan.  I can print but not scan.  I used to have an icon for my HP Officejet Pro x476dw MFP.  I would click on the, scan and save to my one drive.  I no longer have the printer icon??

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My issue is similar, but not exactly the same.

Before upgrade to Windows 10, I could scan to my PC, or scan to a card or flash drive plugged in to the printer.

After upgrade, scanning to the card or flash drive works, but not to the PC. The pc recognizes the printer and scanner. When I open the scanning software on the PC and click scan, the document fees through the ADF, the scanner scans, and I get a prompt on the PC to save or add to the file. I click save, and the software shuts downs, says "ABBYY FineReader will be terminated: ABBYY Licensing Service is unavailable: The RPC server is unavailable. Please contact your system administrator to solve this problem."

Printer is an Epson Workforce 840.

I went to Epson's web site. There was a link to an article "can I scan after upgrading to Windows 10?" I read the article, downloaded the scanner driver and utility file from the site, installed on my PC, but still no luck. In fact, after this install, while the printer and scanner are still "seen" by Windows 10, all print jobs are marked "error" in the queue, and the scanning works exactly as I described above.

I sent a message to Epson, and to ABBYY, this morning. Have not heard back from either yet.

Frustration is setting in...I scan pictures for my genealogy research regularly. I need this to work!

Thanks,

Rhodesmk

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

,Update---I fixed my problem---Go to control panel, then All control panel,, then troubleshooter, then devises/hardware (or whatever tha tis called) then  printers. After that the steps are fuzzy in my memory but the essence is---go to spooler service, then take it off of automatic and put it on "manual ,  then  click reset (or was it restart?) the spooler service ." Then put it back on automatic . If it asks you to apply somewhere in all of this do that too. Then close all boxes and windows.

When I went back to the list of devises on my computer  the computer DID show my printers again, which it would not do when the spooling was off,  and I was able to print from WORD.

Good luck!

I suspect we all are having a similar problem. My problem is my computer no longer   recognizes my printer and will not add it because "my print spooler service has stopped working. " I am running a full virus scan to see if I can detect a corrupted file,. If that does not help me, my computer guy says I will need to take in my computer and printer to him because he does not know why Windows 10 messed up my spooler.  He says I should have waited for the Windows 10 bugs to be fixed before I installed . What a bummer!!!!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually got mine to work.

I uninstalled the all-on-one printer, re-booted, went to the Epson web site and downloaded installed the most recent drivers, and everything worked fine after that.

Funny part was I had already installed the most recent drivers, but that's what killed the printer.

After uninstall/reinstall, it works for me now.

Hope your luck improves!

rhodesmk

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad you got it to work!! I also fixed mine, in a different way. See my updated message. Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that does not work perhaps what I figured out will:  Go to control panel, then All control panel,, then troubleshooter, then devises/hardware (or whatever tha tis called) then  printers. After that the steps are fuzzy in my memory but the essence is---go to spooler service, then take it off of automatic and put it on "manual ,  then  click reset (or was it restart?) the spooler service ." Then put it back on automatic . If it asks you to apply somewhere in all of this do that too. Then close all boxes and windows.

When I went back to the list of devises on my computer  the computer DID show my printers again, which it would not do when the spooling was off,  and I was able to print from WORD.

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem. Before upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10, I had issues connecting to the printer in general once in a while. To fix, I would reconnect the usb cable and try again, problem solved. Now, the printer is working fine from all usb ports, but I get this same error as Josiah Quising displays above whenever I try to scan.

I use an HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer, and have tried reconnecting to different usb ports, restarting the printer and computer, reinstalling the device software, and running the troubleshoot dialog, without success. Please respond ASAP.

Judah

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2021 Views 23,207 Applies to: