Plugged in not charging Windows 10

I bought a new laptop last week, the MSI Stealth Pro. It had windows 8.1 installed on it and everything worked fine. I Decided upgrade it to Windows 10 because i love it on my desktop. However,  since it has been upgraded, the charger doesn't work anymore. It says it's plugged in and not charging. I've tried all the steps that i could find by researching it. I uninstalled the drivers,unplugged it, reset , etc. Any clue on how to fix this, since i know the battery  is in tip top shape? 

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2020 Views 83,944 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So, DA let me ask: When you go into "control panel" > "power" > "choose what the power buttons do"... you do not get the "plugged"/"unplugged" options?  I know that does not help with this problem, but it does show it recognizes the battery.

EL, not what I meant.  On my computer "Vaio Control Center" no longer appears in the control panel, do I had to locate and use the native power app.  Was only asking if others had this issue. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

same problem facing with my dell inspiron 3521after upgrading from windows8.1 to windows10 , whenever i plugged the charger it always keep showing "plugged in -not charging"and stop charging after 50-51%.

please tell me what to do with that problem because my charger is working with my another dell laptop and battery is also working fine.

please give solution soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a 6 month new HP Notebook. In WIN 8.1 there was no problem. I 'upgraded' to WIN 10 & the 'Battery - plugged in not charging ' problem started. I Rolled Back to WIN 8.1, but the battery problem Rolled Back too. When the battery charge was down to 48 %, I tried this simple procedure -

Shut down the computer. Pull the AC plug.

Start the computer in battery mode. Run for a few minutes & test a few applications.

Shut down the computer. Replace the AC plug. Start the computer in AC mode.

When I did that the battery quickly charged up  & now I'm 'back to normal' - battery icon shows 'Fully charged (100%)'.

NB: no technical stuff here - no messing with BIOS, drivers or removing\replacing batteries. Just a simple procedure that worked for me, so it is worth a try.

I had the problem of 'plugged in not charging' on a less than 12 month old high-end HP laptop. It was there while running Win 8.1 and remained when I upgraded to Windows 10 last week. Always stuck on 46%. I use it in place of a desktop so, as it worked fine and was plugged in, this was not a big issue. But I was curious about the cause. I tried Bob Vinton's procedure (i.e. take out the power jack for an hour and replace it) and hey presto the message changed to 'charging'. Half an hour later it's fully charged. It doesn't explain the cause, but it worked. Hope it lasts.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Helen - I do like to hear from users who have been helped by my procedure.

It will last, I'm sure. My HP Notebook continues to work fine after 5 months now.

Bob Vinton

Sorry this didn't help.

This doesn't work for me unfortunately. My laptop will not power on unless it is plugged in. I won't let me power up with the AC cord plugged in. It's as if Windows 10 has deleted all knowledge of the battery completely.       

Sorry this didn't help.

This doesn't work for me unfortunately. My laptop will not power on unless it is plugged in. I won't let me power up with the AC cord plugged in. It's as if Windows 10 has deleted all knowledge of the battery completely.       

Yes - my procedure does not work for everybody. Especially if the battery has already drained to zero or near to zero. Sorry but I don't have any other solutions.

Bob Vinton

Sorry this didn't help.

This looks like it's working. Nice going.

Thanks.

Now if only I could remove the battery on my surface pro 2, as it's having the very same issue.

mwalshe

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally figured it out on my Samsung laptop.  Samsung has a "battery life extender" app that is designed to limit charging to extend the overall life of the battery (not the amount of run time on a charge).  If activated, the battery will stop charging at 80%.  I turned this off and it's back to charging to 100%.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally figured it out on my Samsung laptop.  Samsung has a "battery life extender" app that is designed to limit charging to extend the overall life of the battery (not the amount of run time on a charge).  If activated, the battery will stop charging at 80%.  I turned this off and it's back to charging to 100%.
That's very similar to what I recommended on Feb. 6 for correction of a Sony Vaio, except that on Sony it's known as "Battery Care Function".  That function needs to be unchecked to allow for full charging.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a 6 month new HP Notebook. In WIN 8.1 there was no problem. I 'upgraded' to WIN 10 & the 'Battery - plugged in not charging ' problem started. I Rolled Back to WIN 8.1, but the battery problem Rolled Back too. When the battery charge was down to 48 %, I tried this simple procedure -
Shut down the computer. Pull the AC plug.
Start the computer in battery mode. Run for a few minutes & test a few applications.
Shut down the computer. Replace the AC plug. Start the computer in AC mode.
When I did that the battery quickly charged up  & now I'm 'back to normal' - battery icon shows 'Fully charged (100%)'.
NB: no technical stuff here - no messing with BIOS, drivers or removing\replacing batteries. Just a simple procedure that worked for me, so it is worth a try.

I gave this a shot, and is now charging.

Thanks Bob. 

Sorry this didn't help.