Outlook 2013 opens Word attachments in Word 2013 despite Word 2010 being preferred version - Windows 10 suspected as cause

First, this is a question first posted in the Outlook forum. It has been cross-posted at this thread and this one. No satisfactory answer has come up, I suspect that it is because this is a side-effect of Win 10 rather than Outlook or Word settings.

Originally posted in Outlook forum on November 25, 2015:

I have multiple versions of Office on my computer but use the latest version of Outlook (2013) that I have.

When I double-click on a Word document in Windows it opens in Word 2010, which is my preferred version. However, if I open a Word document that is an email attachment directly, it opens in Word 2013.

Is there any setting I can change to get attachments to open in Word 2010.

BTW, I do know that it is not a good idea to open and edit Word documents directly from email. I generally open them and if I want to edit, I save the document to a permanent storage location.

Note, this is a recent behavior (within the last couple of days). Before that attachments opened in Word 2010.

Additional information: This was not a problem for more than two years under Windows 8.1. This is true of all forms of Word files.

I also tried a command line re-registration, following my own directions from: My docs open in the wrong program! Re-registering Word using the commandline.

Here is a screenshot from a message showing the .docx attachments with Word 2013 icons.

Here is a screenshot of such an attachment's icon when downloaded/saved to the Desktop using SaveAs. That document also showed a Word 2013 icon as the attachment.

Note that it is the Word 2010 icon.

When a document is opened from a file saved to the computer it opens in Word 2010. When the same document is opened directly from the email, it opens in Word 2013. This happens whether or not Word 2010 or Word 2013 are already open. AFAIK this only happens when the email is opened in Outlook 2013.

Again, this is a relatively recent development. I have been using Outlook (and Word) 2013 for more than two years previously without this anomaly. Word 2010 was and remains the default application for Word documents, except when they are opened directly from Outlook.

Word 2013 is currently not the default app for any file type.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

Hi Charles,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me assist you on this.

We understand how frustrating it is when things doesn't work how it suppose to and we also regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I understand that you are facing issues with Microsoft Office Word and have created same query earlier on office forum. However we cannot help you much with this issue as this issue seems to be with Microsoft Office Word. So we suggest you to please continue following the thread which you have created earlier on Office forum.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the response. I will continue following that thread.

I have not posted in the Word forum because I have no problem using Word. The problem arises from the interactions of Outlook 2013, Windows 10, and multiple versions of Word. When Outlook is not involved (i.e. the Word document is an attachment to an email), or when Windows 10 is not involved, there is no problem. Documents and templates both use Word 2010. When Outlook 2013 is involved on Windows 10, attachments open in Word 2013.

I speculated that Outlook may be treating the attachment as an OLE object.

Please mark helpful or answered as appropriate to help other users.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

Sorry this didn't help.

Still an issue.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.

Charles

I think that you may be correct in that the problem is a Windows 10 issue.

I am running Windows 7 - Office 2003 (removed outlook) - Office 2013.  I have just attached a word.doc 2003 to Outlook 2013. Sent it to myself on different email account. It opened with word 2003 but in compatibility mode. Saved document to desktop in word.doc mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

Posting this to keep this thread alive.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.