Opening a non-browser application link results in an error and the link doesn't open. Any ideas?

The error message is: The ordinal 581 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\ProgramData\App-V\9BD02EED-6C11-4FF0-8A3E-0B4733EE86A1\6A0357B5-AB99-4856-8A59-CF2C38579E78\Root\VFS\System\ieframe.dll

After upgrading from Windows 7 to  Windows 10 I noticed any attempt from an application to open any protocol (http:, mailto:, steam: are ones I tested) fails with the above error (32-bit apps have a 32-bit path in SystemX86). The application is then returned an error code as the operation failed. I had no issues with protocols on Windows 7.

There are some exceptions that DO work:

- Elevated applications can always open links.

- A handful of unelevated applications seem to work. The metro Contact Support app (but not all metro apps, GameHub doesn't, if that is one). I can enter in steam: urls in Chrome and they open Steam properly.

But most don't, which is annoying. I can easily reproduce in Command Prompt and the Run dialog (Run dialog doesn't display the real error, though).

I noticed the ieframe.dll referenced is a different version than the one in system32, but I can't try replacing it to see if that resolves the issue, as VFS apparently cannot be changed by anyone even with appropriate permission set.

I am running Windows 7 SP1 Pro x64 upgraded to Windows 10 RTM x64 (build 10240).

I tried using the Microsoft chat support offered in the Contact Support app. I wasn't sure they would be able to help me and unfortunately I was correct. The support person had me change my default browser and try to reinstall a steam game but the error persisted as I expected based on how I expected it to. The one thing unexpected that came out of it is we figured out Chrome was able to launch steam: links (which I had thought it would not be able to). Oh, and apparently Steam's shortcuts it creates under Windows 10 don't work, but that's a Steam bug I think and unrelated to my problem as I wasn't trying to use a Steam desktop shortcut in the first place.

Anyone else seen this problem or something like it? Any ideas I could try? I've hit a dead end here. :(

[Edit: Also right clicking on the desktop and clicking Personalize doesn't work since that launches by url!]

[Edit: The DLL in the VFS seems to be the ieframe.dll from Windows 8.1, judging by its version number. I don't think it would have been there before my upgrade. So I think the problem is that for some reason Windows is selecting that DLL when it shouldn't be doing so.]

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2018 Views 1,541 Applies to:
Answer

The IE developer channel appears to be an App-V package. 

the following will allow you to remove this but at your own risk!

- run powershell as an administrator

To show the package

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Import-Module AppvClient

Get-AppvClientPackage -name "Internet Explorer Developer Channel" 

To remove the package

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Import-Module AppvClient
Get-AppvClientPackage -name "Internet Explorer Developer Channel" | Remove-AppvClientPackage

edit: update order of Set-ExecutionPolicy to be before Import-Module

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.