Onedrive On Windows 10 High CPU Usage and Burning CPU

I have updated to the new version of Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3. I noticed the fan running continuously and that OneDrive is using 20% of CPU all of the time. The OneDrive Icon reports that OneDrive is checking for changes every 2 seconds. I have exited one drive and the CPU cools down and the fan stops but when I restart it just starts to run again. I have restarted the computer and it continues the same.

As the fan and CPU are running like this it is killing the battery and making the unit so hot, too hot to hold. I use the Surface as a tablet and away from power so I am going to have no choice but to go back to Windows 8.1.

Please help

Same problem here (Surface 1) with Windows 10, One Drive reporting "Up-to-date"! Under Settings for One Drive I un-checked "Improve upload speed...batches". Surface cooled down and the fan stopped running. CPU usage for One Drive now at 0%. I'm not sure how this will affect One Drive sync.  It's a work in progress!  Hope this Helps.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the tip. I have tried your suggestion and found that it has made no difference. Within a short time of restarting OneDrive the heat and fan are back. Hope your solution keeps working.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally sorted out this problem by un-linking my OneDrive and then setting it up again.

I have copied all of my files from OneDrive onto my local drive. Microsoft's new approach to OneDrive is a monumental step backwards. Whilst I can understand that some people might have been confused about how the placeholders used to work a simple set of options would have worked fine. Allowing those of us with large one drives to still enjoy the convenience of placeholders whilst reducing the complication for those who don't understand placeholders. A modern operating system should be everything to all people.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here (Surface 1) with Windows 10, One Drive reporting "Up-to-date"! Under Settings for One Drive I un-checked "Improve upload speed...batches". Surface cooled down and the fan stopped running. CPU usage for One Drive now at 0%. I'm not sure how this will affect One Drive sync.  It's a work in progress!  Hope this Helps.

I was having the same over heating problem on my Surface Pro 2 with OneDrive using too much CPU. I flipped this option off and all seems well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My OneDrive task is using 30% of my CPU

(Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s))

I was not able to find the "Improve upload speed" option in settings, but simply killed the OneDrive process through Task Manager and my CPU fan quickly stopped blowing and all is quiet now.  I still seem to have full access to OneDrive documents, so I'm not sure what that task was doing.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But that means you have to kill Onedrive Setup process every time you start up your PC. Annoying.

Try this: https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-high-cpu-usage-by-microsoft-onedrive-setup-onedrivesetup-exe/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar problem with onedrive on Windows 7.  Onedrive is using 25% CPU all the time.  If this continues I may uninstall Onedrive and stop using it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2020 Views 21,868 Applies to: