MSKLC under Windows 10: Create custom keyboard layout which supports IME(input method) for Chinese and combined input in Spanish

Hi the community.

I have created a custom keyboard layout with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 in Windows 10. I have set the language to be Simplified Chinese. 

After installing the layout and restart, I found it working: it's listed under "Control Panel" - "Time, language and regions" - "Language" - "Language settings", under language Chinese, listed in the section "Input method", along with Microsoft Pinyin. It's name "unavailable input method", and I cannot preview the layout like others, but if I change my layout to it with Win+Space, I get desired output as I press the keys. That's great. 

The layout is like this:

Unshifted:

Shifted:

AltGr:

AltGr+Shifted

As you may have noticed, this keyboard layout contains Latin letter, including some Spanish special punctuation symbols and characters like Euro symbol. I designed this layout in order to enable three language input: English, Chinese and Spanish, as well as punctuation and special letters, such as "á", "ü" and so on.

Here comes the question: 

1. It does not permit combined input, such as "press ¨ and u gets you ü", which is possible with native Spanish layout. If I press "AltGr+VK_6" and "u", it only gives me "¨u". 

2. I don´t know how to input Chinese with it. In Microsoft Pinyin, when you press shift, you can type in English, and when you press shift again, you will be typing Chinese pinyin, but this keyboard layout lacks this. Also, in MS Pinyin, for keys as `"`, `.` and `,`, when typed in Chinese mode, they give you `“”`, `。`  and `,`(full length Chinese punctuation). But this keyboard layout is unable to switch to Chinese pinyin mode, even is set to be a Chinese input.

Is it possible to type Chinese pinyin AND Chinese punctuation with this? Can I substitute the MS Pinyin´s English part with this new layout, or may I add the Chinese pinyin part to my layout? Is this permitted and possible?

As this post suggests, it may be possible with DLL substitution. Am I supposed to do that?

Answer
Answer
Hi,

In order to properly assist you with this concern, we highly recommend that you post your query on the TechNet Microsoft Forums and Microsoft Developer Network. They are more knowledgeable to this kind of discussions.

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I have solved it myself. Thanks anyway. 

In the registry, under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\

I substitute the preset DLL of each language I want to use, e.g.

KBDUS.dll

for Simplified Chinese("keyboard layout for US English") and

KBDSP.dll

for Spanish, with the DLL generated by the installation of my keyboard layout, MY_KBD.dll, and restart.

A detailed version of the solution can be seen here:

MSKLC under Windows 10: Create custom keyboard layout which supports IME (input method) for Chinese and combined input in Spanish

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2023 Views 9,552 Applies to: