Missing Operating System after Windows 10 download

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now my laptop says missing Operating System. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Can anyone help?  Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP! I'm so disappointed :(

I asked about this, It is likely caused by the partitions set on the hard drive.  Dell, ASUS, HP can set partitions in a different order than microsoft thinks they are (the automatic installer would try to put it in the wrong partition and the master boot record in your bios is courrpted from the change, which of course gives you what you are experiencing.  heres what one method I have told to do if issues like this arise

I was given this solution by a support engineer. 

You need: 2X USB Drives (8-10 GB depending on OS Size) (one for backing up recovery partition and other for storing previous OS Installation Media from Microsoft)

Previous OS Product Key Written down (You will need it if you use installation media) 

As well the laptop you want to put windows 10 on

You basicly have to go back to your Old OS, If you still have the OS Discs then pop them in and boot from the disc and reinstall it (yes i know a reverse in direction, but a few changes need to be done there)  

I am not sure if a USB recovery drive flashed from the old OS would work, I am looking into that, But I was told you will need to download installation Media from Microsoft on another computer that has a functioning OS, select the exact version of your previous OS that came on the laptop (if your laptop came with Windows 8, not 8.1, then upgraded you must first download windows 8 on installation media and upgrade 8.1 after install). Make sure you have written down your product key already before hand or else you need to get a key for the previous OS you had.   anyway use the program to partition a USB or ISO for DVD and than reboot into the BIOS and Boot from Your USB or DVD you created and install Windows that came on Laptop before hand. once done, activate previous version  of windows, make recovery USB  than delete the recovery partitions(You can delete the partitions after backing them up in USB Recovery, if not then This is my advice, Not microsoft's , shouldn't cause an issue with 10 installation going forward as long as you backed up the recovery partition on a USB Key, than delete using delete option in backup program or in Computer/Disk management program) 

Upgrade either by  Methods A or B

A: Get Windows 10 app and wait for upgrade (reserve and wait for it to tell you to download and try it again, it will likely work this time as the conflicting partitions  are gone)

B: Download Windows 10 from Microsoft on another computer. IMPORTANT: You must download and click setup while using your verified genuine  Windows 7/8/8.1  and logged in, I have been told that it is needed to be done all this way with this method because it will avoid activation issues that can arise ahead, so dont reformat and install it from BIOS, it must be done while your logged into your previous Windows OS that you put on again. 

So that is pretty much it

Here's the reference for you with the links to download the stuff: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-operating-system-missingnot-found/c18a0eca-df36-4994-ad26-b41b4fd60ce8?tm=1438869673233&rtAction=1438894868841

If you have not started the upgrade at all and still have your 7/8/8.1,  get your Product key, make a recovery  USB or get the your  existing OS Installation Media from Microsoft before doing any of this or Start windows 10 upgrade in the first place just in case you need to this ,so you can "roll back" if any mistakes arise to be on the safe side and make the changes needed as described

NOTE: I have not tried this, but everything should work great as desired. I still researching into rather USB Recovery does the same thing as the Installation Media would do for you and if the EFI System partition needs to stay or be deleted, researching that as well, although doing a clean install of Windows requires EFI to be deleted, unsure if still needed or not for Windows 10 upgrade from older OS as it wont be a clean install but Microsoft recommends that when partitioning a disk, the EFI System partition be the first partition on the disk.[10] This is not a requirement of the EFI specification itself. if you do into computer/disk management and delete partitions, keep EFI and ensure it in the first in the order of partitions)

I have experience Flashing Computers and installing OS's  but never using this method, by explanation it should work but i need to get answers if you can use recovery USB instead of installation media to put Old OS back on and EFI partition and what to do with it.

Please Give credit to Microsoft Support engineer  Syed Md Bilal it was them who told me about this and saved the day

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there anywhere to download replacement OS for Windows 7 Home Premium?  Mine crashed on Windows 10 upgrade.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi guys,

I ended up taking my laptop to the Microsoft store in my area. They were really helpful and did a free diagnostic check. I think the issue had to do with my hard drive or something like that. My hard drive works fine so the fix is that they have to reinstall Windows 7, which I no longer have the info with the product key so now I have to buy a new Windows 7, which they will install and then upgrade to Windows 10. Oh, and I lost all my files!

I was totally bummed about the incurred cost I have now, especially since everything was working well before I upgraded for FREE! But at least everything is getting fixed now. I'll think twice about jumping for a free upgrade.

To those who have the same issue as I did, go to your local Microsoft store and hopefully you'll get some help.

Cheers!

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2020 Views 1,961 Applies to: