Question

Q: Microsoft Shared Experience?

So call me selfish but I don't want to share anything with anybody and I don't like my left hand knowing what my right hand is doing either.

Enough humour but this new facility is driving me wacky because I have it turned off and just about every startup I get a message that there is something wrong with my Microsoft account and I have to put in my password which then leads me to the settings section and specifically to the Microsoft Shared Experience, where I select nothing and keep it turned off.

I realise it has something to do with me still having the audacity to be using Windows Live Mail as my email client, because I like it, heaven forbid a customer actually enjoying a piece of Microsoft Software because it works and is tidy versus all these new banner less bits of rubbish that are designed to work on tablets and phones.

Is there some way of turning this infernal merry go round off every time I start my computer telling me that there is something wrong with my Microsoft account.

Thanks in advance for any intelligent solutions.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you setup a local user account? Then go into Live Mail and setup your account there? You should be able to both without tying a Microsoft Live Account to your computer login. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Thanks for your response.

Yes I did set up a local account and password, since windows 8 and Windows live mail has been going since then as well so what has changed for this to occur?

I must admit I am a little confused by your answer if you could explain it a little better to me.

I have had a local account and password on my computer since Windows 8 and I have upgraded to 8.1 and 10 all the way up to the latest production version, I am not on any insider program.

I have also been using Windows Live mail since Microsoft broke Office 2013 on my laptop and Windows live mail on my desktop since Windows 8. It also has a separate password that is not connected to my computer and that has been the case for ages and several Windows 10 builds.

Can you further explain what you mean by Going into Windows Live mail and use a local account? That is if that is what you mean.

Thanks in anticipation of your response and apologies for the slow response but I am out of Internet reach for weeks at a time.

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't have to use a LIVE account as a login account on your computer.

Setup a local user, let's just call it localuser. Don't tie it to your LIVE account.

In your mail program you can enter your LIVE account credentials to get to your e-mail without tying it to localuser.

So, use localuser to login to your computer. Use your LIVE account to access your email. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your response,

I mustn't be making my self clear to you but I have always had a local account on my computers (2) and never used a Microsoft account to access these computers.

My Windows Live Mail, is my original MSN account that actually dates back to the dim dark and forgotten ages of Windows XP pro and it's first blue screen and in no way have they ever shared a password or had a linked account.

Hence my question, what has changed, and why am I getting this message, that there is something wrong with my Microsoft account?

I hope that makes it clearer to you and thanks again in anticipation of your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have a Microsoft Account? Assuming yes, because it's taking you to it when you log in. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I thought everyone had to have one because Google and who knows who else wants to link you to something and I have always used my MSN email for that. Saying that I have not linked it to my computer ever and I use a local account and password.

Yes it is taking me there, not when I log in to my computer, but when I use Windows Live mail, Instead of Mail, who's interface I don't like. It tells me there is something wrong with my Microsoft account asks for a password and then returns me to the settings screen where share is turned off, and remains that way.

Finally in the previous version Windows 10 it didn't do this, so what has changed? I haven't changed anything other than keep my computer up to date. Fair question?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I am getting the same annoying alerts everyday, sometimes more.

I've never had a Microsoft account logon to this PC. I've only used my company domain account.

Why is Windows asking for my domain account password?!

Shared experiences are turned off BTW.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thought this was more about sharing it on your several devices, like cell and desktop or cell and laptop.  Is it both????

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yvonne,

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can share files and applications on a maximum of 5 devices. However, if you're using a local account, you can share files but not applications.

Get back to us if you have other concern.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yvonne,

We've noticed the post has been inactive for 48 hours now, may we ask if you still need assistance regarding your concern? 

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,543 Last updated: April 19, 2018 Applies to: