Mail Icon missing in Windows 10 Control Panel

Hi MSFT,

I am using Office 365 pro plus downloaded from portal.office.com. And I suddenly lost mail icon in my Windows10 Control panel.

I did quick/online repair, reinstalled office 2016, nothing worked.  I don't have any office14 or office15 installed

MLCFG32.CPL is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

I ran the command, but mail icon does not show up either.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MLCFG32.CPL"

My office is the latest Version 1712, see the screenshot below. Any suggestions?

[Moved from:Office/Outlook/Windows 10/Office 2016]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

In most cases, making changes to your email profile will require you to do it using the Mail icon in the Control Panel. If the icon is missing, installing available Windows updates can help you fix issues with missing icons in the Control Panel. To better assist you, we need the answers to the following questions:

• Is your computer connected to a domain?
  • Are you using the Exchange server on your email?

In the meantime, we suggest using the search box in the Control Panel window and type Mail to see if the applet will appear.

We are looking forward to your response.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have got latest Windows Update on my laptop.

1. I am connected to a domain

2. I am using Exchange Online mailbox, sorry I don't have the permission for Office 365 portal.

I did search mail in control panel but it is empty.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you access mail via web browser log-on you wont have any mail applet in the control panel, it will only exist if you have installed Office/Outlook a desktop version

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue here on a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 pre-installed.

I need to create a new mail profile, but, there is no mail applet to do so with.  All available updates, as of this date, are installed.

Thx

Maurice

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.  Dell laptop.  Not using Office at all.  I rebooted m PC and got the "creator" update.  Not I don't have the mail or calendar app on my PC.  I can go into settings.  Under "accounts", under "email and app accounts", my email accounts are listed.  I can add and delete from there.  The mail icon and app are apparently missing.  They only way I can seem to find it is to click a "mailto: link on a web page and it opens, but as soon as I close the webpage, the app is gone.  No way to pull up an inbox to check email, and the mail (and calendar) apps are not listed in my start menu.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a workaround for this. You can try double click MLCFG32.CPL under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 if you have it.

I really hope Microsoft could solve this issue ASAP!!!

126 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello EvaYu,

Thank you for the tip!  However, I don't have that .MPL file, nor is there even a Microsoft Office folder under either Program Files folder.

I ended up calling Dell, because I was also unable to get Office 2016 to activate.   They were telling me that Office 2016 has to be tied to the Microsoft account that I used to order the system with... but I didn't use a Microsoft account to order it.   Long story short, after about 4 hours, they got Office reinstalled and activated.

However, I still don't have the control panel applet.   What I did notice is that all of the Office executables for Outlook, Word, etc. are in a subfolder of the user's profile directory -

AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/Microsoft.Office.Desk_<random letters and number>

I have never seen this before.   Is this something new with Office, or, is this a Dell thing now?

I gather that if we ever remove this user's profile from Windows, it will remove Office as well.

Thanks

Maurice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with 3 Dell laptops running Windows 10 Pro. Office 2016 is downloaded from portla.office.com and I'm trying to configure Outlook 2016 for an on-premise Exchange 2016 server.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erin,

For us to have a better understanding about your concern, we would like to know if you received any error message when trying to configure your Outlook 2016. Also, are you have the same issue with the missing Mail icon in your Control Panel?

We will be waiting for your response.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same issue.  Brand new fresh-out-of-the-box Dell OptiPlex 7050 PC, Dell "OEM" Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016 installation.  There is no "Mail" icon in Control Panel, nor is Office 2016 even listed on the Programs and Features/Remove list.

It's like Dell's shipping half-baked Office installs with these latest systems.  Outlook just gets some bogus "can't find that user" type error when launching and entering verified-correct e-mail credentials for Office 365.  Can't set up the mail account manually because there's no mail icon in Control Panel.  Can't uninstall because there's no Office H&B listed in Control Panel.

Looks like Dell just screwed up all things Office.  I'm going to just try to log in directly to Office.com/Account and see if I can manually download/install from there.

-Dan

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 142,245 Applies to: