How to edit a default app list

Is there any way to add (or even delete) an application from the list of options that appears when you want to set a default to a different program?

My photo downloads are set to open with a program that is out of date.  The up-to-date program, which I have been using for a while now, does not appear in any list of default options.  I haven't been able to find a way to add it and so select a new default, either in the download options drop-down or in Settings/Defaults.  If I "Browse" for the correct application, it is in the correct file location, but I see no way to select it either as a new default or even as a single-use option for the current download.

I'm using Windows 10 on a PC.  The particular programs involved are Adobe Lightroom CC (the old one) and Adobe Lightroom Classic CC (the new one).  I have reasons not to just delete the old program.

In any case, the question is actually generic:  How does one "edit" the default-options-lists?  (Googling this question has not been helpful.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gail

Hello Gail,

There are two ways that can change the default software opened for certain files.

First, you can right click the file you want to change default application.

Click “Properties”

And you will see “Opens with:”
Click the “Change...” button.
You’ll be able to change the default program this way.
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Second,

State Menu>Settings Menu>System>Default Apps

Once you get into Default Apps, on the right panel you should see a list of files. You can change the default program for a file in here also.

Hope these help!

-Brien
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Correction to response above

Start Menu>Settings Menu>System>Default Apps
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure I understand what is meant by "file" in your first response.  I suspect, though, that "change" will not let me select any app I want but will require me to choose from a list that's already been chosen for me--and that's the entire problem.

The first thing I did was to try to change the defaults in DefauIt Apps list.  One can change the default app ONLY by selecting an app that's on the list that opens; I cannot navigate to any other app on the computer.  The app I want is NOT on any of these lists.  Even if I choose to set defaults by file types (a truly onerous task), the app I want for, say .jpeg files does NOT show up in the list of options.  (That app is, by the way, on the list of "Apps & Features," so computer recognizes it.)

My question is HOW to add an app to those options lists.

Those lists are not all the same, but it seems Windows/Microsoft has randomly selected some apps that it will allow me to use.  I want to EDIT that list and add the apps I need.  This could be done in Windows 7.  Why not Win 10?

It's always possible--even likely--that I am missing something here, but I'm stumped.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gail,

In the same Settings menu for Deafult Apps, if your scroll to the bottom you will also see “Set Defaults by App”

Here, you should be able to see the software you’re looking for. Even if it didn’t pop-up in the original menu.
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But that's the problem.  It does NOT show up.  None of the Adobe apps except Acrobat shows up in that list--not even the ones that show up in other lists.  Not even the old Lightroom app that I want to replace.

The real problem is that one is limited to using whatever apps Windows (or Microsoft) has chosen for any given list; there's no ability to use whatever apps are on the computer.  In fact, there are a couple of apps on the "set defaults by app" list that aren't even on my computer.  This seems an arbitrary limitation of function here, and it's pretty frustrating.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not sure there is any way at all to do what should be standard.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gail,

Sorry that these steps are not working.

However, after researching on Adobe’a page, I’ve found out Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC are Data Base Applications. Which means can’t be set as Default Apps.

Below is a link to a similar question you’ve had, and a possible fix from Adobe.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2266786

Once again, I hope this helps.
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's very interesting,thanks. And I'm sure it's right, as far as it goes.  However, it's not exactly a photo viewer I'm trying to re-set; it's the "open with" program to be used for downloads.   For a long time now, I've been able to use the versions of Lightroom CC prior to the most recent update for that purpose.  If I download a photo, and if I choose to open the download rather than saving it to a file, it will open into Lightroom CC.  This has continued without action on my part through previous updates.  Not the most recent one, alas.  My downloads still open with the previous version.

Inability of the user to find a program in Explorer and add it to a menu of this sort seems to be a general issue with Windows 10, since many people have raised the same question regarding totally different programs.  There doesn't seem to be a general fix, though.   Hope the techs get to fixing it sometime.

Gail

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another link on Adobe being a default is using the registry.

Below is a link

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1238079

They talk about photoshop, however, it can be done the same way with Lightroom CC.
Just make sure when naming the default app in the registry that the .exe is “Lightroom classic CC” instead of the “Lightroom CC”
Brien Travis
MCSA Windows 10
MCP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure I feel comfortable doing this myself, but I'll ask my favorite tech expert to have a look with me.  I am a little dubious  because the switch from CS6 to CC was a switch to a very different sort of animal and not just an update. It's certainly worth a try, though.  Many thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2024 Views 4,469 Applies to: