How do I stop f1 opening a browser window on "how to get help with win 10"?

The title covers it really.

Either put help on f1 or do nothing, but please tell me how to stop the browser window opening. It's annoying and the very opposite of helpful.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that this is by design. However you may go through the link and check on how to disable all hot keys.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-i-change-the-windows-7-keyboard-shortcuts/0110d32d-66c0-4ce7-8682-eeb896e80c3f

I would also suggest you to use your favorite search engine and look for any third party program that might assist you in this issue.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software or Link, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software or Link can be solved. Using Third Party Software or Link is at your own risk

Please follow the below article to know how to disable Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa460734(v=winembedded.5).aspx

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was just going to ignore this totally inadequate reply, but then I received an e-mail asking why I hadn't marked the question as answered, so let me continue.

I had realised this function was intentional, but it's a very poor function. One that is actually more of a hindrance than a help, truth told. That's why I would like to disable it. What amazes me is the incredibly poor options given.

The first option given is a link to a windows 7 forum question, where the best answer is to edit the registry. That seems a rather clunky under-the-hood solution for a such a simple problem. Is the best option MS can offer with Win10 to control hotkeys to directly edit the registry? Is there really no other way to control the hotkeys? I find it incredible that an organisation which seems to believe it is on the cutting edge of user interfaces doesn't provide any option to control hotkeys.

The second option is almost more incredible: go and see if a third party have produced software which fixes the problem. Followed immediately be a disclaimer which says don't blame us if you use third party software.

So in answer to my question: how can I stop this annoying hotkey? The best answers that are on offer are directly edit your registry or go and see if a third party has a solution because we don't.

Or to put it another way "Sorry, we didn't think anyone would want to control their hotkeys."

I'm sure you can come up with a better answer, and if you can't maybe you should have a long think about what still needs doing to Win10 before it's ready for release (I realise it HAS been released, but I'm still not convinced it's fit for release yet).

344 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To make F1 do nothing, run this cmd script with administrator privilege:

@echo off
taskkill /f /im HelpPane.exe
takeown /f %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe
icacls %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe /deny Everyone:(X)

291 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you can disable any Hotkey, including F1, but would have to recognise that you are then removing that functionality from all software, which would create even more problems for most users. You need to recognise that more and more software is becoming dependent on Internet-based 'help files' because they are easier for software developers to maintain/update.  The days of 'free' software manuals are long gone.
MJA
Windows Insider, Surface Pro 3, MacBook Pro (VirtualBox + Windows 10)

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much! That worked. So simple, i didnt expect it to work, yet F1 no longer opens up the annoying help. Im on windows 10 as well. 

To make F1 do nothing, run this cmd script with administrator privilege:

@echo off
taskkill /f /im HelpPane.exe
takeown /f %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe
icacls %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe /deny Everyone:(X)

To make a cmd script, open notedpad, write the command and save as name.cmd

72 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that this is by design....

Thank you.

This is a REALLY bad design. It provides absolutely NO useful information, especially the thousandth time you accidentally press F1 while on the desktop. The search results are not at all relevant to the desktop, or to getting help with anything you may be looking at, or even the automatically searched query.

If one assumes that the purpose of pressing F1 is to get help, then the person pressing F1 obviously already knows "how to get help in Windows 10," so that search makes no sense.

The first result is "How to upgrade to Windows 10." Hello Bing, this IS Windows 10. Try again.

The second result is a video telling the user to use the search box. If you get help through the search box, what purpose does pressing F1 to get this search serve? None. Try again, Bing.

The third result is "How to upgrade to Windows 10" again. You are failing, Bing.

Then there's a CNet article. This is moderately more useful, but does not answer any question that might have prompted the keypress, especially since the actual "Help from Microsoft" video is not about F1.

The fifth result is the most promising. It provides several videos, one of which is an introduction to Windows 10. That's a great help, the very first time you see it, if Windows 10 has not already given you that information. Afterwards, it is useless.

Then there's a link to Yahoo. An unwanted Bing search is leading to a result on Yahoo.

Number seven is another "How to get help by not pressing F1" video.

After that are several things that look like scams. You are leading people who might know enough to ask for help in a way you don't seem to want them to use to people who are abusing your failure in helping them.

These are bad results, and they are why I don't use Bing. They are why I don't EVER want to use Bing, and they are the only reason Bing is ever used here.

106 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh my god... thank you so so much.   I play a game that requires pressing the 1 key sometimes, and it's right below the f1 key so my hame would get interrupted all the time with an accidental clumsy finger.   This pleases me.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I ran jingyu9575's script with admin privileges, the initial lines succeeded, but the final one did not. However, I browsed to the HelpPane.exe file, right-clicked, went to "Properties" and edited the security settings accordingly.

Thanks jingyu9575!

A few more words from myself, as a user, to Microsoft, the developer:

The default behaviour of opening the web browser with the "help" page would only be helpful if that precise page gave me an option to opt out of this behaviour. Then you would be telling users what is going on and how they are still in control.

I work fast, use a lot of hotkeys, and have some finger-memory which does not get changed immediately. It would drive me crazy that the old hotkeys to access the menu (like Alt-E) would also open the web browser. The inability to change it bears some resemblance to the behaviour of browser hijackers (they are also difficult to uninstall, by design).

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even tho this is a bit late you can also install the software for the keyboard. It may have the option to do nothing, when you press an  F key

This Logitech KB if you install setpoint, you can change it to do nothing if you press F1 - F6

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

how do I enable it back or set to other page I want?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2021 Views 59,149 Applies to: