How do I prevent Windows 10 from re-enabling a disabled device?

We have a laptop that has a bad touchscreen. The rest of the machine is fine but the touchscreen takes over the system. When we disable it, the user is able to work on the system just fine. But if they log off or reboot (or Microsoft does one of those forced updates we can't seem to turn off) something re-enables the touchscreen and the user is unable to use the computer, again.

This is a TERRIBLE feature of Windows 10! Please keep disabled hardware DISABLED!!! There is no BIOS option to disable the touchscreen so I can only do it from Control Panel -> Devices. HOW can we make this "Disabled" status PERMANENT??

Note: We have tried uninstalling the drivers but Windows Update keeps reinstalling them and turning on the Touchscreen feature! ARGHHHHH!!!!

|
Hi ISDPCMAN

My name is Fernando. I am an Independent Advisor. I am here to guide you with disabling a device.

Here is a link that might help you keep the device from automatically installing itself.

https://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/the-techno...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions and let me know how it goes.

Respectfully,

Fernando Y.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ISDPCMAN(2)

To do this would require disabling Windows Update from applying any updates at all.

If you wish to do that:

Please note, Microsoft's approach to updates is very different that earlier releases. They are basically mandatory because of Microsoft's past history with customers sometimes failing to install important updates.

You can create a stop and start script for Windows Update.

Create a Notepad file with each of the following and save them with the .bat extension.

stop-updates.bat:

sc config wuauserv start= disabled
net stop wuauserv

sc config bits start= disabled
net stop bits

sc config dosvc start= disabled
net stop dosvc

pause

start-updates.bat:

sc config wuauserv start= auto
net start wuauserv

sc config bits start= auto
net start bits

sc config dosvc start= auto
net start dosvc

pause

Now you can simply right click on stop-updates.bat and select Run as Administrator

Source: http://sdbr.net/windows-10-update-failure/

My sincere to MVP, Greg Carmack for the help with finding this.

Also look into how to kill services in Windows 10 using the Task Kill command:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/end-processes-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2021 Views 3,392 Applies to: