How do I get accented characters in Windows 10

Hi all,

In previous versions of windows it was possible to type accented characters (like 'é') by pressing the quotation mark key ['] followed by the letter [e]. I was wondering whether this was still possible in Windows 10 and how to enable this. I have my keyboard language set to English (US), which used to be enough to enable this, but apparently it isn't anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2020 Views 83,635 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You can try adding a keyboard input method.

Launch the settings page "Region & Language settings" (one way is to press the Windows key then enter that text in the search box). On the right side you'll see a section called "Languages" with at least two items under it: "Add a language" and your current display language. Click the second item, your current display language -- mine is "English (United States)", for example. You will see a new set of three buttons appear; click the middle one, labeled "Options". From here you can select "Add a keyboard". I chose to add "United States - International".

Press Windows+Space (hold down the Window key and press the spacebar) to switch between installed keyboards. (The old shortcut of left-Ctrl + left-Shift also seems to work.) Even on a stock US keyboard, the "International" variant lets me compose compound letters by pressing, for example, the quote key ['] followed by a letter [e] to create [é], as you described.

Other combinations are possible; this feature seems mostly unchanged since Windows XP. More examples can be found at

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codeint.html

217 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.