How can I set the default paper size in Windows 10 to A4

I would like to know how to set the default paper size in Windows 10 to A4.

It seems like "Microsoft Print to PDF" and some other printers use letter.

But I need it to be A4 for all printers.

Configuring every printer individually is not an option for me.

|

"Configuring every printer individually is not an option for me."

In that case you're in trouble, because paper size selection is made by each printer's driver. It's not a Windows 10 setting.

Go to Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners > click on your printer and click on the Manage button.

When the new windows opens, click on Printing Preferences. That's where you select your default paper size.

I had to do that 3 times for my 3 printers. It only hurt for a few minutes  ;-)

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I would like to know how to manage the paper size in a simple way.

I have 5 virtual printers and 1 physical printer to change:

- Fax

- HP DeskJet 1100

- HP ePrint & JetAdvantage

- Microsoft Print to PDF

- Microsoft XPS Document writer

- Send to OneNote 2016

And I have 3 laptops in the house and 3 laptops of friends I take care of.

But changing the paper size 6 x 6 = 36 times is insane.

There should be a reasonable solution especially when considering that some people (or companies) have more than one physical printer and a few more computers.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Printers on a corporate network are typically attached to a domain and managed by a domain controller. That's a whole different category. Very few home users have 36 printers to manage.

I can follow the steps in less than a minute. That's 36 minutes for you, but why not give yourself a break every now and then so we'll say 45 minutes. How often do you change the default paper size?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

An average home user has at least 2 laptops (old and new, home and office, etc.) and hence about 10 printers to manage. One cannot expect him spend time and thoughts on this if he has more important things to do. In addition changing the paper size might not be the only change. The changes are required every time a new computer or printer enters and it is usually forgotten until the paper disaster happens.

The current situation is an unacceptable mess. A simple and clean solution is needed.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Configuring every printer individually is not an option for me."

In that case you're in trouble, because paper size selection is made by each printer's driver. It's not a Windows 10 setting.

Go to Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners > click on your printer and click on the Manage button.

When the new windows opens, click on Printing Preferences. That's where you select your default paper size.

I had to do that 3 times for my 3 printers. It only hurt for a few minutes  ;-)

That's exactly right you would assume, hey, however  did have the EXACT same issue and i had to UNINSTALL all the previous windows MP drivers for tne printer i had registered PRIOR TO upgrade to the 10, as the default settings from letter to A4 consistently reflected the change yet never printed and stopped printing processes at every attempt.

I had to delete all previous files  of the version PRIOR to upgrading to Windows 10 and unload MP drivers, reinstall and after ensure the programs and features and the app install menus, noticing i had  uninstalled from the original upload of the program in Settings - Programs and Apps (default settings and Apps option in my Microsoft menu options), and then from that menu into the actual hardware My computer section which contains the Programs and Features area, uninstall the whole of the printer apps and ( its a cloud ready printer) and reinstall the printing app.

So once those old files are disassociated, you run admin any missing MP drivers for the printer, it should stick with plain paper A4 settings rather than letter...

It worked but took longer than three minutes, and im still having issues with windows 10 installations updates,  such is life in windows 10.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2021 Views 14,541 Applies to: