Format window for non-native programs and apps in Windows 10

Is there a procedure or location in the Windows 10 platform where you can specify, and I guess cache, the size dimensions and location of a start at boot non-native program or application? One in specific would be the Core Temp Grapher Beta extension to the Core Temp program by Arthur Liberman found at https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html. It is currently set to open almost full screen covering way too much and the graphs are expanded so that they are not exactly optimized to a read at a glance scale. And I think I have at least two other startups that it would be nice to have sized and positioned more ergonomically, but I think this one will give me a good starting point to learn from.

If it's not because you are using a BETA version of the Core Temp extension, it may have something to do with your screen resolution.

Are you using a custom desktop scaling ?

Win10 could be better at remembering the position of a Window, but generally something like Core Temp should open in the size and

position it was in when you closed it last.

I don't have Core Temp atm, but Real Temp has an option to start minimised. This shows the temps in the Taskbar Notification Area\system tray

rather than an on screen Window. I believe Core Temp would have the same option.

I've been using Real Temp less now that -  GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility    - has included a cpu temp sensor

with the various gpu sensors.

GPUz has too many monitors for the Taskbar so it does have to be open to see the monitors, but it can be set to launch

on start up and minimise to the systray.

- If the ambient air temp in your region is over 30C and you are running system intensive games or tasks regularly having the temp monitor

launch with Windows may be a good idea, particularly if using a laptop, but launching manually from a shortcut on the Start menu

occasionally when running a game to verify the temps are staying in safe range is good enough.

Graphs... Over analysing, I reckon. The max temp number reached during 15 min or so gaming is sufficient detail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jabber

The size and location of an application Window is not stored in in the Windows operating system

Software developers should store the X,Y position of that application along with width and height, and if maximized in the application settings, then when you open the application, those settings should be read back to locate the application window in its last location, size . . .etc

Sadly, a lot of software developers do not do this, and there is no way to get that data from Windows . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@BossDweeb,

First of all Thank You for the link to the GPU-Z. I'll have to check that out since Core Temp doesn't pick that up. Next, FYI, Core Temp is written as a start at boot. And it does have the toolbar readings for the average processor use in percentage, the temp on all four of my cores, the clock speed, the use of RAM in percentage and the power in watts being used. All of that can be a bit hard to track mentally when it updates about three times a second. (the grapher is a glance and go) All can be individually turned on or off and the core temperatures can be combined as an average if you prefer. But in a combined average you loose touch with that one core that runs hotter than the others or the one that for some reason is getting stressed more than the others at a given time. The Grapher is actually a plugin to Core Temp. That in it self may be the whole issue. He also has several other add-ons including a remote monitor. You should check it out some time. 

I have to admit I'm a little anal about the temps. While working at Home Depot, I witnessed a store level system crash completely (they were using calculators fromoff the shelf at checkout) and a couple thousand dollars damage in just the few modules that ended up having to be replaced. (now I'm Disabled n I don't need to replace) I monitor the room temp with a thermometer on my desk and I try to keep it below 24℃. I also have a probe thermometer inserted through the face of the PC for the ambient case temp. Then the Core Temp. I try to keep the cores below 85℃. Core meltdown is supposed to be at 100℃, but with the space between the core and the thermosensor and the fact that degradation starts before you reach meltdown (why some used PCs drag along so badly), I try to keep things in check. And you can set Core Temp to run chosen files at a given temp like an audible alarm. The only thing I don't monitor (YET) is the exhaust temp. And YES I Do Game. Which by it self doesn't pump the temp until certain background services decide to randomly kick in even though I have subroutines to keep that from happening.

Well, now I feel like I'm rambling on and your probably rolling your eyes a how long this reply was. So if I missed a point of interest, and you dare to, shoot another reply and I'll get back to you.

Later

Jabber Yakker

It all seems so easy and simple till something goes wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@DaveM121,

Does it work the same way with plugins? He does have an Email if he actively monitors it.

Thanx

Jabber Yakker

It all seems so easy and simple till something goes wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jabber

Yes it is the same for any process, if the developer was too lazy to store those 5 simple settings, then there is nothing you can do . . .

I write software for a living and those are one of the first 5 settings I add to any application I write, it is honestly just laziness no to . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2019 Views 137 Applies to: