"Errors" that show on the Event Viewer under Windows Logs

Hi, 

On the Windows Logs in the Event Viewer program, I see numerous "Error" as below (I see a lot more of them when I scroll down):

What does this exactly mean?

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about your query.

Event logs are special files that record significant events on your computer, such as when a user logs on to the computer or when a program encounters an error. Whenever these types of events occur, Windows records the event in an event log that you can read by using Event Viewer. Advanced users might find the details in event logs helpful when troubleshooting problems with Windows and other programs.

Event Viewer tracks information in several different logs. Windows Logs include:

- Application (program) events. Events are classified as error, warning, or information, depending on the severity of the event. An error is a significant problem, such as loss of data. A warning is an event that isn't necessarily significant, but might indicate a possible future problem. An information event describes the successful operation of a program, driver, or service.

- Security-related events. These events are called audits and are described as successful or failed depending on the event, such as whether a user trying to log on to Windows was successful.

- Setup events. Computers that are configured as domain controllers will have additional logs displayed here.

- System events. System events are logged by Windows and Windows system services, and are classified as error,

warning, or information.

- Forwarded events. These events are forwarded to this log by other computers.

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you ,Ratandeep.

Since I see a lot of errors, do you have any advice to ensure security, etc.?

I just want to make sure that everything is okay now.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your concern.

I would suggest you to run system file checker(SFC) and see if it helps.
Refer this article:
Does System File Checker work in Windows 10?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/does-system-file-checker-work-in-windows-10

System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Ratandeep for your kind, quick response.

I followed your advice and this is what I got:

Does this mean that my laptop is clear with viruses? 

The reason why I found these "errors" in the first place is that when I was about to stream a movie on a commonly used movie streaming website, I got a "security alert" message from "MS Windows" that my laptop had been infected with a virus and I had to call this number.

When I called, the person from Direct PC Protect said that they are Microsoft certified technical support company. The person walked me through steps and showed me the "Event Viewer" with lots of "Errors," and said my laptop has serious problems.  I paid $199.99 to "fix" the problem, but I felt suspicious and I logged out of the remote session--the person had remoted into my laptop to "fix" it. 

I haven't done anything to my laptop in attempt to fix any issues --if there's any-- and I was wondering if those "Error"s in the Event Viewer mean that my laptop is infected with a virus.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your time.

The results show that corrupt files in Windows are repaired now.

However, if you want, you may run Microsoft safety scanner to find and remove any virus in Windows.
Refer:
Microsoft Safety Scanner
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>> When I called, the person from Direct PC Protect said that they are Microsoft certified technical support company. The person walked me through steps and showed me the "Event Viewer" with lots of "Errors," and said my laptop has serious problems.  I paid $199.99 to "fix" the problem, but I felt suspicious and I logged out of the remote session--the person had remoted into my laptop to "fix" it. >>

Ratandeep: Do you have any comment on "Direct PC Protect" (at www.directpcprotection.com) ?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 2,145 Applies to: