Can't set Photoshop as default

I have Windows 10 Home version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407.

Until I got the update 1803 for Windows, Photoshop was always my default and it worked perfectly.  Photoshop itself works just fine, but Windows will not allow it to be the default.

I have tried to set Photoshop CS5.1 as my default photo program by using  'always open with', 'set default programs', 'set by file type', and all the other methods I have researched on the web. However, Windows will still not accept it.

I can however, set any other Adobe program as the default for jpg, tif, png, etc., including Fireworks, Illustrator, Premier, and Photoshop Express. This seems very odd to me. 

What changed in the latest update to create this problem? And more importantly how can it be fixed?

I can not uninstall the latest update to go back, as my back ups still have Windows version 1803.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop which did not help. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

My apologies. This is one of the bugs which has been caused by new Windows update. File association has been giving this problem. The selection is not sticking.

Microsoft is well aware of this issue and has been working to fix this issue. I think next build may have this fix in place.

Meanwhile, I would recommend that you submit this issue as a feedback to Windows team through Feedback Hub

Windows Key+F
Submit your feedback
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi KLloyd1

Setting some File Associations with some applications in Windows 10 is now impossible, a lot of users are reporting this at the moment, this seems to be a bug in Windows 10 since the last update.

Microsoft are working hard to patch the bugs in the last couple of updates, hopefully this is one of the bugs they are working on

Please provide feedback to the Windows Developers on this bug, press Windows Key + F to open the Feedback Hub, the more users that report this, the quicker it will be resolved . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same issue. microsoft blamed adobe on their chat line!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 149 Applies to: