AppReadiness errors after September 29 Windows 10 update

QwinnEPE asked on


After the September 29 update, I now receive the following 4 errors in my event log after every reboot.  The Source is "AppReadiness".

Event 10: 

The Appx operation 'RegisterPackageAsync' on 'Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.14393.206_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy' failed for user 'Qwinn' - . (Error: Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.)

Event 214:

'Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy' install failed for Qwinn. Error: 'Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.' (0.1249866 seconds)

Event 10:

The Appx operation 'RegisterPackageAsync' on 'Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.206_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy' failed for user 'Qwinn' - . (Error: Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.)

Event 214: 

'Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy' install failed for Qwinn. Error: 'Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.' (0.1249866 seconds)

I haven't found any other symptoms yet, but I haven't used the system much either.

I am using a Local Account rather than a Microsoft account, by the way.

I was running pretty close to a clean event log (a miracle itself) until this update.  Please advise how to resolve.

140 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Costas Spiropoulos replied on

A solution was found over at by user Eagle51. Here's what he had to say (again all credit goes to user Eagle51):

"Windows 10 Home 64 bit on 2 pcs (desktop and laptop).
KB3194496 installed fine and everything is working on both.
Event id 214 and 10 for Microsoft.Accounts.Control and Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost on the laptop.
Tried all the usual fixes with no success ..... sfc(not problems found), dism(no problems found), windows store and update troubleshooter(no problems found)

Looking into the errors on Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) I got a hint on a registry key. So I looked at the 2 registries and after some digging the desktop was showing LastReturnValue of 0, but laptop showed 80073cf9 (the other values where the same). Desktop didn't show any sub keys in the UpdatedApplications, but laptop showed 2. I did the following then rebooted. The 214 and 10 errors disappeared.

Since this is dealing with the registry, try at your own risk and remember to create a restore point before editing the registry

1. In windows registry, navigate to the following key.


2. Look for the following 2 sub keys.

LastReturnValue = 80073cf9 ..... (CHANGE TO 0)
NumberOfAttempts = 00000001
Path = C:\\WINDOWS\\SystemApps\\Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy\\AppxManifest.xml

LastReturnValue = 80073cf9 ..... (CHANGE TO 0)
NumberOfAttempts = 00000001
Path = C:\\WINDOWS\\SystemApps\\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\\AppxManifest.xml

3. Check the following key.


4. Delete the 2 sub keys if they exist.

Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy ..... (DELETE)
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy ..... (DELETE)"

Bear in mind that this may not work for everyone and it may not even be a real solution but just a way to inform Windows that the above apps have been installed just fine and it should not try to re-install them at user logon. Looking at powershell and using the Get-AppxPackage command, plus looking at AppXDeployment-Server Windows log (in Even Viewer) I was able to determine that Windows was indeed trying to install newer versions of these Appx packages (for example installed version for Microsoft.AccountsControl and Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost for me was 10.0.14393.187 and Windows was trying to install 10.0.14393.206). While my AppXDeployment-Server log is filled with messages that would have you believe the installation was successful (for example : Updating registry for package Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.14393.206_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy completed with result: 0x0.) for some reason that wouldn't actually happen and the registry key would indicate as last returned value: 80073cf9, which according to Appx common error codes means: ERROR_INSTALL_FAILED. (Package install failed. Contact the software vendor. -yeah what else is new-).

I have no idea whether these new versions of Accounts Control and ShellExperienceHost are needed, things seem to be working fine so far but since with Microsoft looks can be deceiving, I will keep an eye out for future errors related to this case.

14 people found this helpful

Abuse history