An App Default Was Reset

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173) installed on February 10 caused the following problem:

"An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .* files, so it was reset to Photos"

Affected file types: .jpg, .png

I use IrfanView and I want to keep using it. I'm highly dependent on it as it allows me to move/copy files quickly while viewing them.

Windows no longer allows to associate files with IrfanView. They are instantly reset.

Solution: I solved it by uninstalling the update and blocking it from reinstalling with this tool:

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Edit March 2:

My plan was to sit this out, uninstall Cumulative Update and wait until Microsoft releases the next Cumulative Update, which I hoped wouldn’t exhibit the same glitch.

Today, Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743) was rolled out. KB3140743 resets my defaults Photos defaults instantly and doesn’t let me change the default viewer under Settings > System > Default Apps. App defaults are silently reset and notifications in the Action Center are no longer issued.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 17,555 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I took the more drastic measure of uninstalling photos and groove music.

This is a serious bug in the update.

I have this problem too.

When I go to do certain Windows Explorer based tasks my system toasts go berserk telling me that App Defaults were reset for PDF, BMP, JPG - you name it. One after another after another.

Currently got about 20 of these notifications in my alerts area.

What third party security programs are you guys running?  I'm not seeing this behavior across the board so something in unique in your setups.
Eset Endpoint Antivirus - 6.1.2227.0 on Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173) installed on February 10 caused the following problem:

"An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .* files, so it was reset to Photos"

Affected file types: .jpg, .png

I use IrfanView and I want to keep using it. I'm highly dependent on it as it allows me to move/copy files quickly while viewing them.

Windows no longer allows to associate files with IrfanView. They are instantly reset.

Solution: I solved it by uninstalling the update and blocking it from reinstalling with this tool:

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

The same problem,

The update even deleted all my personal files in Documents, Pictures, Desk and so on...

What the......

Microsoft updates do not delete files.   They just don't.  I will stake my reputation on it.  I would reboot several times to see if you are getting a temp profile.  Holler back and I can set up a support case to find your data.
I'm experiencing the same thing, however, I've been having the same default programs issue for months now. Windows resets my default apps for internet and music to groove player and edge browser. It's hard to think that this wasn't an intentional bug by some wayward engineer inside of Microsoft designed to coerce us to use their apps ;)
Given that you have an insider badge, I want to be clear that resetting defaults should not be happening on the RTM builds.  On the insider builds when you go from build to build and select "use express settings" it will reset defaults.  But on public released with merely the cumulative monthly patches, nothing should be reset.

But the update really deleted my files, I cannot find them any more, they're just disappear.

The document folder become empty.

I even searched whole c driver.

But my document never show up again....