A toolbar is already hidden on this side of your screen. You can have only one auto-hide toolbar per side.

I get this error in Windows 10 every time I turn off or on the TV, I it have connected to my laptop via HDMI.

A toolbar is already hidden on this side of your screen.
You can have only one auto-hide toolbar per side.

When I either turn on or off the TV the other monitors flash and I hear the the blip-blop sound of disconnecting a device. Right after it happens the taskbar that I have set to Auto-Hide is suddenly popping up, is visible and does not hide again. And also warning sound and a popup with the error message above appears.

In order to auto-hide taskbar again I have to open taskbar settings and manually change the switch to on again.

I have an Acer laptop with 1 TV and 2 external monitors connected. 1 TV connected directly via the laptops HDMI and 2 monitors connected via an USB hub with its own gfxcard. I have the internal laptop monitor set to "Disconnect this display" while the others are connected. The internal display is only used when all other monitors are disconnected.

I have tried searching internet for a solution or for someone with same or even a similar problem, but incredibly I could not find anything at all related. The issue is extremely irritating because I turn on and off the TV several times every day. And each time I have to close the popup and then enter taskbar settings and change it back to auto-hide.

To make things even worse the popup with the error message is sometimes showing also on the turned off TV connection so that I have to turn on the TV again and click OK on the popup to be able to access the taskbar at all again.

Can someone shed some light on why this is happening and what I can do?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in response and thank you for providing us with all the information.

Below are the steps I suggest you to try and check if that helps you.

Method:  Create a new user account and check.

1. Create a new user account and hide the taskbar from the system itself.

2. Extend the monitor to TV and keep the system under observation and check if you still face the issue.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Create a new user account and hide the taskbar from the system itself.

Thank you for your reply Amit.

When you say hide the taskbar from the system itself do you refer to opening taskbar settings and setting taskbar to Auto-hide?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the response. 

Yes, I am referring to hide the taskbar to Auto hide. However, when you connect the laptop to your TV, you will have taskbar on both of the screen, I suggest you to hide the taskbar from the laptop and not from the TV screen on the new user account

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggest you to hide the taskbar from the laptop and not from the TV screen on the new user account

You mean that it matters on what screen I click 'open taskbar settings'? I would think the same settings open no matter what monitor I use when I change the setting. I am not using the laptop screen.

I have hidden the taskbar from all monitors with no difference. Creating a new user account to try this doesnt seem like a possible solution. I am sorry.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am quite disappointed that this was never taken care of.

I still have to live with seeing this every morning:

A toolbar is already hidden on this side of your screen. You can have only one auto-hide toolbar per side.

for the rest of my life

124 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 15,620 Applies to: