Windows 10 Xbox App Sign in error (0x409) 0x80070005

Can't sign in to the Xbox App. States error code (0x409) 0x80070005. 

My computer specs
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 

Xeon E5-2670 x 2 (Dual CPU's)

64 Gb RAM ECC Reg Samsung 

Samsung 840 Evo OS main drive

3TB Seagate HDD

2TB Seagate HDD

500 GB WD HDD

128 GB Samsung USB Windows backup

EVGA GTX 760 2GB

Asrock ep2c602 Motherboard (I let Windows install the drivers)

Windows Defender on 

Firewall On

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The very first time i tried to use the app it worked fine (About 1 week ago). If i load the app now though, it states sign in and shows the error code at the bottom of the screen.

Things i have tried so far 

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

• On your PC, go to Xbox.com and select Sign in. If there are problems with your account, the instructions will help you solve them. If you can’t go beyond the sign-in screen, select Forgot my password and follow the instructions.

• If that didn’t work, select the Start  button > Settings  > Time & language. Under Date and time make sure theSet time automatically setting is turned on.

• If none of those options work, select the Start  button > Settings  > Accounts, then find the Microsoft account you used to sign in to the Xbox app and select Remove. Then go back to the Xbox  app and sign in with the Microsoft account you just removed.

Make sure that Xbox services aren’t disabled

First thing we’re going to do is to make sure all necessary Xbox services are enabled. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. In the Search bar type Services. Select the Services from the list of results.
  2. In the Services window sort the services by their name.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and find the following services: Xbox Live Auth Manager, Xbox Live Game Save, Xbox Live Networking Service.
  4. You’ll have to repeat this process for each of the services listed above. Right click the service and select Properties.
  5. Find Startup type section and make sure it’s set to Automatic. If the service isn’t started, click Start to start the services.

Other things i have tried

Restarted the services = Didn't work

Reset Network= Didn't Work

Please note, an odd issue i'm having i just noticed is i don't get updates from Windows, it always just says i'm up to date. 
If i go to Troubleshoot and click "Windows Update" it stops right after clicking it and asks to run as a admin. After this i get a message saying 

After hitting apply i get 

I can re-run this again and get this same issue, Could these 2 issues be linked?

I also did a SFC scannow with no issues.

Check issue with Windows Store apps got this back

I reset the cache with WSet in the system32 folder still has this issue?

Hi,

Corrupted profile data, an outdated version of the app, and software conflicts that occur when signing in are some of the factors that we have to take into consideration when troubleshooting issues with signing in to the Xbox app on Windows 10. Let's isolate your concern by answering the following questions:

• Have you made any changes to your device or to your Xbox account before encountering this issue?
  • Are you using the same Microsoft account to sign in to the Xbox app and your Windows 10 PC?
  • Are you using an administrator user profile?
  • Have you tried signing in to other built-in Windows 10 apps like the Store app to check if the same issue occurs?

Meanwhile, we suggest signing in to a different user profile. This can help determine if this is due to corrupted user data. Here are the steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon from the bottom-left corner of the main screen.
  2. Select your account name from the top-left corner of the menu, and then select Switch account.
  3. Sign in with an account other than the one you were using.
  4. Sign in to the Xbox app and check if the same issue occurs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Have you made any changes to your device or to your Xbox account before encountering this issue?
    Not that i remember
  • Are you using the same Microsoft account to sign in to the Xbox app and your Windows 10 PC?
    I don't sign in using a Email or an account on Windows 10, just the app.
  • Are you using an administrator user profile?
    Yep, Only user on this PC full admin rights.
  • Have you tried signing in to other built-in Windows 10 apps like the Store app to check if the same issue occurs?
    I'm currently signed in to the store, Seems to be working just fine.

I'll report back once i have done the switch of accounts.
‘‘Xbox ambassador & volunteer moderator’’ aren't support. They reply in hope they get selected as the best answer for incentives. Good chance they don't know how to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Meanwhile, we suggest signing in to a different user profile. This can help determine if this is due to corrupted user data. Here are the steps:

1. Press the Windows button on your device or keyboard, or select the Windows icon from the bottom-left corner of the main screen.
  2. Select your account name from the top-left corner of the menu, and then select Switch account.
  3. Sign in with an account other than the one you were using.

Sign in to the Xbox app and check if the same issue occurs.

Didn't work

I also made a whole new PC User and gave it admin rights, Still didn't work same issue. 

I was checking if my load windows was correct as some tips point to this as a fix. Mine was set to Normal startup, but Xbox Live Auth Manager is set to stopped, is this normal?

After spending so much time with dealing with this issue, i'm doing a reinstall with Windows as a deadline is coming up and i need this software working. 

‘‘Xbox ambassador & volunteer moderator’’ aren't support. They reply in hope they get selected as the best answer for incentives. Good chance they don't know how to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We understand the urgency to have this issue resolved. Reinstalling your operating system is the final option to try. We suggest creating a new profile first. This can help determine if this is due to corrupted user data. As for the steps, see Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10 for the steps. Sign in to the app using the new profile and check if the same issue occurs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this before, look above
Didn't work

I also made a whole new PC User and gave it admin rights, Still didn't work same issue. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, so i'm finding out why i might have been getting issues with the Xbox Sign app. First Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installs my network as a public network. Second, it seems the update service just never installs anything, like it just sits and never updates. 

So digging around, this might be because i had my ethernet cable plugged in during install and it did something wrong with networking. This could be the reason why i was having issues in my other post about admin rights with OS drive while installing drivers for my music programs. 

As this doesn't mean it has to be the sole reason, as it could also be the windows creation tool might have a bad image, as i used this both times during install. 

All i did during this new install was use a Samsung 128 Gb USB and format to 32 Gb with a 10Gb file size (The rest was not used).
I started my computer with the USB setup in the bios as boot device and started the Windows install. AT the point it asks to install windows to the SSD (Samsung 840 Evo SS) i deleted all old files and selected next. I'm going to try a new install with no internet connected and also check my bios settings to make sure it's not blocking something. 

I do want to note that, new windows install needs to be fixed, like Windows update will state it's out of date and just never download (i waited 30 mins and nothing), but while this is going on Candy Crush and other apps i never asked to be installed are. I'm lost for words as how this is accepted for a pro copy of an OS.
I might install Mac OS and test my system out and use WIndows 10 in a VM.

I found the very first copy of Windows 10 online and i'll test how that go's. This might be my last few days on this OS. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay installed Windows 10 64 bit 2015 ISO. I'll update this once Windows updates to test Xbox App.

Signing in to any Microsoft app doesn't work, This is very odd. Using google chrome just fine. 
Xbox / Mail / Store error code = 0x80190001

Windows update error code = 0x800704cf

Sfc /scannow no issues 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After testing everything on the computer, i kept asking my self why only Microsoft services would be not working, as Google Chrome and Edge worked just fine. I then looked at my Router. Issue seems to be fixed. I'm calling Belkin right away and also putting a review about that product.

• Model: Belkin F9K1102 was the cause of the issue. My bad on thinking it was Microsoft. Hope this helps someone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for sharing to us how you were able to resolve the issue. It's good that you've found out the root cause of the issue.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to get back to us. We'd be glad to provide you additional assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,251 Applies to: