Windows 10 Thread stuck in device driver

So i upgraded to windows 10 and it is automatically set to automatically do updates, so behind my back it did the previous update about 3 days ago and when i came back i had the blue screen frown text screen saying that something went wrong and that it was collecting data, and like always on any computer i have worked with it wasn't actually doing anything. It told me that the reason was: "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" so thanks auto update! i have an AMD Athlon X2 (yes its old) with a 1TB WD black and an ASUS Radeon R7 260x, when i go into update history it says that the last driver update failed but on Device manager it says i have the latest drivers on everything in my PC. i have done all i believe i can so please actually help so i don't end up needing to reinstall EVERYTHING to get things to work.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Chanie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

You may download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool " in the above article for creating the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps: 

1. Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
  2. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
  3. Click, ‘Advanced Options’ and then click on 'Startup Settings' and select ‘Restart’.
  4. After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

Refer the link for reference:                                                         

Change startup settings in Windows 10 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's your video card driver. I am having the same issue and had it with Win 7 as well. Restarts don't work, I had to shut the PC off and manually start it with the power button. I haven't found a solution yet and was hoping the Win10 upgrade would work, but it's not. 

I am going through some troubleshooting now and will try to remember to post my findings. 

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aaron,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

Please refer to the link below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560350(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it was just the version of windows 10 i was running, seemed like a common bug that was fixed shortly after. ALL'S GOOD! :D (for this issue on my end)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem. No solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robert,

Did you tried updating drivers?

What is the make and model of your device?

The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. A device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself, or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Frequently, this is the result of a bad video card or a bad display driver.

Suggest you to check for the latest Graphics card drivers from the device Manufacturer website and see if it fix the issue. If you don't find the latest driver or if the problem still persist, then try installing the available drivers in compatibility mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the latest and available driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Uninstall the existing graphics card drivers from your PC through Control Panel.

c. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.

d. Go to ‘Compatibility’ tab and click Run compatibility troubleshooter, then select Try recommended setting and click Next again Next. Now it will ask you to Test the program, click on it and continue with installation. Once this is done, check if everything works fine. If it does, go back to Test the program window and click Next, then save the setup file with that settings. Reboot your PC and see it resolve the issue.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yashwanth, Thanks for the reply... But I tried reinstalling the graphics driver and many other fixes. After installing the Win 10 update last week, and then a graphics card update, my keyboard would not work. Was forced to replace the c: drive with a factory image and rebuild the system.  Working great now!  Never mind the 24 hours of ****. I call it blunt force repair.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robert,

We really appreciate your effort in fixing the issue. We're glad to hear that the things are working fine.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar problem but only when I use the academic writing referencing 'my Endnote Web' website. There's a drop down list to input a new reference and everytime I click on the list to select the appropriate option, my laptop freezes and then crashes (screen goes blue and the 'thread stuck in device' message comes up. Once rebooted and try to reattempt, the same problem happens again.

I haven't had this problem with anything else, only the endnote website. The software works fine when adding references to office documents. It is vital that I use this website for a piece of work. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem? Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its been 4 months, so I might not be clear on the details, but I ultimately had to replace the motherboard even after Dell tests suggested it was OK.  No problems since.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2024 Views 15,609 Applies to: