Windows 10 - Taskbar Volume Icon Stopped Working After Recent Windows Update

I've been running Windows 10 for well over a year. Around Memorial Day weekend I installed a Windows update and ever since I've been having trouble with the volume icon that lives in the taskbar. The icon is there, always, but it no longer responds to mouse clicks, whether it be a left-click or a right-click. Nothing at all happens. The icon does highlight and show me the volume level if I hover the cursor over it, but clicking on the icon has no effect.

Based on some other posts I've seen on the Internet I've tried a few things. I've tried the DISM tool and the system file checker, neither of which found or fixed any issues. I also saw a suggestion to start and stop the audio service, followed by a reboot. This does actually seem to fix it, but only temporarily. 

The laptop's audio is working fine. If I manually adjust the volume using the volume controls on the laptop the changes do take effect. However, I'd much rather continue using the volume icon, both because it's what I've done for the entire two decades I've worked with computers, and because I'm normally working at my desk on a full size keyboard and monitor, with my laptop docked in several feet away from me.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2018 Views 28,689 Applies to:
Answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XyA_6MYxOM

Works everytime for me!!!

258 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.