Windows 10: Line-in audio no longer honors the default device update anniversary update

The audio in no longer uses the 'default audio device' for sound output after anniversary update. Even after manually setting the default device, it continues to use the same sound source (even though a different item is clearly marked as default). I have speakers and a headset as my two sound devices and I switch between. I have an alternative sound input source which uses the line-in on the motherboard. It passes through fine to the speakers but after the update I can't get the line-in to go the headset.

This was working fine pre-update.

Hi Leon,

Which is the default audio device? I suggest you to go the manufacturer website and install the latest and updated audio drivers and check.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/a183aa8b-0eac-4566-867a-98d2761a770d/fix-sound-problems

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Realtek High Definition Audio and Wireless Stereo Headset (Generic USB Audio) are the two output devices.

As I said, I switch between both as the default device depending on whether I want to use my speakers or headset. The Line-In only is guided to the speakers for some reason, regardless if the Wireless Stereo is set as the default audio device.

This worked fine until the Windows 10 Anniversary update.

I checked the drivers, they are all up to date.

EDIT - I should note that Windows audio works fine for both speakers or headset (when changed to default device). It's just the Line-In (which is Line in Realtek High Definition Audio) which doesn't guide to the correct device.

Definitely looks like a bug.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2020 Views 1,255 Applies to: