[Win10] rundll32.exe "Windows cannot access the specified device..." Error message when trying to open settings

Hello Microsoft lads,

How's your day? Hope it's better than mine =)
I have recently done a clean install of Windows 10. However, what I had done first is upgrade from Win7 to Win10, then experienced a lot of problems and so decided to do a clean install.

Right now, when I go to: Settings > Personalization...
I experience the following error message when trying to open Screen saver settings, Advanced sound settings and various other options:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.
With this location specified in the title bar of the error message window: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

(WINDOWS letters are all in Uppercase as noticed, and system32 is all lowercase, although it differs from what my PC actually has (C:\Windows\System32), I don't think it matters...

* I have tried running the command "sfc /scannow" and it found no errors with the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
* I'm not looking for another system install/reset solution because I have completed that already, and the problem seems to be from Windows itself rather than other 3rd-party apps :/

Thanks in advance!

Ahmad Al Towaileb
Microsoft Windows
Happy Customer

Answer
Answer

Hi Ahmad,

We are glad to know that you were able to fix the issue on your own. 

Thank you for sharing the resolution with us and it may help the other Community users who are facing the same issue. 

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

233 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

So I have the same problem as Ahmed,

error message window: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."when I try to access related settings in themes window.

I've looked at Ahmed solutions: LUA is set to 1, and other setting is enabled (for admin something.. )

DISM Check and ScanHealth show: " No component store corruption detected"

Did restore command yet the problem persist...

Change the value of "EnableLUA" from 1 to 0 .............it will resolve the issue :)  

Hossam

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 104,708 Applies to: