Tablet mode in Windows 10 -- No virtual keyboard?

I just installed my Windows 10 upgrade 2 evenings ago on my Lenovo Lynx tablet. It works pretty well when I am docked to the keyboard, but:

1) I had to tell it to automatically switch to tablet mode when I undock, and it still doesn't seem to do so.

2) When in tablet mode, the virtual keyboard doesn't pop up on the screen when I touch a search entry field -- or really anytime. So I am fairly helpless without my dock.

I did set it to automatically start the onscreen keyboard at start-up, which it does. I even see the keyboard icon on the taskbar, though it is unresponsive. As soon as I switch to tablet mode, that icon, and the keyboard go away. I did find a way to get the keyboard back, but it is very sluggish.

The virtual keyboard and the mode switch all worked seamlessly in 8 and 8.1. If there is no solution for the problems I describe, I will have to revert to 8.1

Is this a driver issue? I had trouble with the screen resolution in 8.1 until I went to Lenovo for a different video driver. Is that what is happening here too?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sounds like a driver or bunk install issue. 

Hopefully it will get fixed in updates or you can try to Reset the PC.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and just upgraded to Windows 10 and can no longer see the virtual keyboard. AI also need to see it to use pen for handwriting recognition, so this is significant problem.  I am in tablet mode too.

I did find settings said keyboard was off to automatically show touch keyboard in Windows app when no keyboard is connected and Add standard keyboard as a touch keyboard option, so I turned both On. However and after a reboot I still don't see a virtual keyboard icon at the bottom of screen like I did in Windows 8.1.

So for me this is significant issue as well.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same problem. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga which i upgraded to Windows 10. In the Tablet-Mode i get no virtual keyboard, what's a kind of a big problem to do any input at all.
The funny thing is, in the Desktop-Mode i have the virtual keyboard sign on the symbolbar next to the language choosing option.
Please fix the issue with the virtual keyboard in the tablet mode, because you can't use it without it!!!!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.  Asus T100.  On-screen keyboard worked fine until the upgrade.  Now in tablet mode there is no icon for the keyboard in the lower right, and touching the screen does not bring up the keyboard. 

I have Dell venue 11 that works fine.  Might be a driver issue?  As far as the Asus T100 goes though, I've gone from a touch first to a Don't Touch operating system.  lol.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found part of the answer in this thread. At least for when it doesn't pop up.

In tablet mode right click on the task bar and select "Show touch keyboard button". At least when the keyboard doesn't pop up you can get it easily this way.

While the keyboard on my Surface Pro 3 seems to pop up automatically for text boxes,  it annoyingly stays hidden when I click in the body of a note in OneNote 2016. Still looking for a way around that.

141 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My lynx will not upgrade to windows 10 because it says there is a graphics driver issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Venue 8 Pro took some updates this morning and now I don't have a virtual keyboard anymore and can't enter the password at the login screen. And as I have no USB port on this device I don't have means to attach an external keyboard, and, because I can't login I can't change any settings to enable the button for virtual keyboard. Should I now leave it on for a few days and wait until a fix is pushed out?? Or is there another way?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jeff,

Click settings / Tablet Mode /

Under "When I sign in" should be set to "Automatically sign in to tablet mode" this should make the onscreen keyboard come up when in tablet mode.

Let me know if this helps.

Adrian

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this setting and a couple of others. I had the best virtual keyboard access in laptop mode, actually. But it was all very unpredictable. I also had the graphics driver message mentioned above in this thread.

Finally I went to the update settings page and returned to the previous build. This was only a few days after the original upgrade, so I didn't have much to worry about file-wise. As soon as I did that, Windows 10 automatically reinstalled, and it has been fine ever since. I may have had a bad installation, or some of these problems had been fixed in the interim -- not sure. But it's working now. I'm back to the same old problems I have always had with the Lynx, mainly this lousy plastic keyboard.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found part of the answer in this thread. At least for when it doesn't pop up.

In tablet mode right click on the task bar and select "Show touch keyboard button". At least when the keyboard doesn't pop up you can get it easily this way.

While the keyboard on my Surface Pro 3 seems to pop up automatically for text boxes,  it annoyingly stays hidden when I click in the body of a note in OneNote 2016. Still looking for a way around that.

Thanks!  I think you've solved my problem.  I just bought a brand-new Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro with Windows 10 pre-installed.  As others in this thread have found, the virtual keyboard icon appeared on the task bar in laptop mode, but bewilderingly disappeared in tablet mode.  I could scrawl MS Word documents or MS Outlook messages using "Ink Tools" (and appearing to be a 4-year-old child), but could not find a keyboard on which to type (except when entering "To:" and "Subject" in Outlook emails).  Excel was totally useless.

I went to the Microsoft Community thread you mentioned and found the work-around posted on 07/29/15.  It's disappointing that the keyboard isn't sizable as it takes up a lot of the screen, but at least it's available.

Meantime, I spent way too long on the phone today (Sunday) with Lenovo being bounced between Warranty Support & Software Support and finally was transferred to [their] Microsoft support where I got a recording telling me to call back during business hours.  (Earlier in the day, I spent two hours trying to get auto-rotate to work in tablet mode.  I ended up with a factory reset, which eliminated all my installation, update, and set-up work from the day before.   Lessons learned:  (1) Google for solutions before wasting time on the phone with semi-trained support staff, and (2) don't waste time on personalizing a machine until you know whether the sucker works.  Again, thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2021 Views 77,980 Applies to: