Sign in failure

I have just upgraded my desk top from win 8.1 to win 10 and can sign in with our existing accounts, however I have tried to set and account up for my son (child account), have registered and outlook email account and accepted the invitation for him to join as a family member. I have set him up as a user on my desk top but when he tries to sign in it immediately signs him back out again. I have checked all of the account details and they are correct. Please can you advise.   

The other issue is that when I shut down my desk top it keeps re-starting.

Hello IanMcCaffery,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with sign in failure after creating a new user account in Windows 10.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

This issue can be caused due to pending updates or corrupted user account. Let’s try to identify the actual cause and troubleshoot accordingly.

I would suggest you to check the following settings and may sure they are all aligned to the same languages and region:

1. Go toSettings > Time & Language > Region & Language.

2. Check the Country or region settings.

3. Check the Windows display language (set as English US) settings.

4. Then go to Settings > System > Speech.

5. Check the Spoken language (set as English US) settings.

If the above settings are correct and the issue still persists, then you may convert the Microsoft account to a Local account and switch back to Microsoft account and check if it helps. To do so, follow the steps given below:

Step 1:

Convert the Microsoft account to a Local account:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10 Insider Preview. 

2. Click Start and then PC settings.

3. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.

4. Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.

5. Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click Next

6. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2:

Switch back Local account to Microsoft account:

1. On the newly converted Local account, click Start and then PC Settings.

2. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Connect to a Microsoft account

3. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

4. Choose if you want OneDrive as your default file saving location, click Next

5. Click Switch.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Regarding the issue when you shut down your system it restarts, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Shahzaib S” replied on July 3, 2015 in the Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-restarts-after-shut-down/ad07a6c7-ed2b-41af-b475-67066a5d54b1

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I tried to follow you instructions but they don't seem to tie up what I am seeing on screen. I have checked the time, language and region settings and they are all ok.

i tried setting up a new local account but once again when I try to sign in I get the welcome message and immediately it signs back out.

any suggestions

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2017 Views 0 Applies to: