"Send To" Menu Blank After Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

I have researched this topic for about 5 hours now and tried every applicable fix (where indicated) but to no avail.  After upgrading my customer's computer from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro (via Windows Update) everything seems to be where it should and functioning properly except for the "Send To" Menu (which was working flawlessly in the previous version); when you right-click on a file and then left-click on "Send To" all that comes up is a small gray blank square where the "Send To" items should appear, even though they're all listed inside of the C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder exactly where they should be.  I have deleted & recopied them in the folder as well as manually recreating them but nothing changes.  I have verified that the registry entries relating to this are exactly as they should be with no corruption.  I've re-registered all of the suggested dlls but no dice there either.  I have scoured all of the available articles and verified that everything is correct and have run the System File Checker several times and it came up 100% okay each time.  This must be some quirk brought about by the upgrade process because I've done about 6 clean Win 10 installs so far and I've yet to encounter this particular glitch.

I've noted that a lot of people have this identical problem but so far no one has come up with an answer, at least that I've been able to discover, so I hope someone has stumbled across one by now.  It's obvious that I'm not the Lone Ranger here, for sure.  Thanks & standing by...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Travis,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Which are the troubleshooting steps which you have already tried?

Run SFC Scan.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, but please note that toward the bottom of my post I clearly stated that I've run the SFC a number of times already.  Plus, I have done each and every thing that has been suggested in in a variety of other troubleshooting articles, from verifying that the registry is correct and intact to copying files from a known-good installation of Windows 10 to this particular computer, so we can eliminate all of the other basic rudimentary troubleshooting steps here - I've already tried all of those several times over.  I need some advanced, 2nd or 3rd tier tech support suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Travis,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue.

I suggest you to use or create another user account and check if you are facing the same issue.

Method 1: You can refer to the link below for more information on how to create new user account:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

If the issue still persists, perform DISM:

Method 2: Run DISM command and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X key together on the keyboard.

b. Select Command prompt(Admin).

c. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scan health

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restore health

e. To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same problem. SendTo folder seemed perfectly normal but "Send To" menu was completely blank.

In my case it was the Bluetooth in the SendTo folder causing the problem. I removed all items in folder, and put them back one by one. Tried several times and every time the menu went blank as soon as the Bluetooth item was in the folder.

Also noticed that explorer froze when I treid rightclicking on the Bluetooth item so don't do that.

Hope this helps!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sveinung

Brilliant, it worked! I clicked on Move to and sent everything from the Send to folder to my Desktop, and then put everything back again except Bluetooth. And now it works, a miracle, thank you!

Rose

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I truly hope you've swerved into something here! It will be a day or 2 before I have a chance to test that out but it would be too good to be true if that's all it took to fix it.  I doubt that my client will ever need to send anything to Bluetooth so it won't be hard to do without it.  If it indeed works (which it apparently has for you) I'd like so see some Microsoft Support folks weigh-in here and tell us #1, why it's happening and what's causing it and #2, what we can do to prevent it from occurring in the future.  Stuff like this is just too weird to be a random coincidence, especially since it's happening to a bunch of other folks as well...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And to think that I had a chat session with a Microsoft 'expert' which took 1 hour and 40 minutes and it resolved nothing!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm hoping that others with this same problem will try-out this fix and confirm that it works, even if you do have to sacrifice the Send-to function for Bluetooth.  At some point more sooner than later Microsoft needs to quickly look into this and come up with a fix, which probably wouldn't be all that hard.  If you have time, could you post kind of a summary of what-all Microsoft's (somewhat bumbling, apparently) tech support guy drug you though, only to not have solved your problem?  Enquiring minds want to know...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah. 

Removing the Bluetooth shortcut isn't really a permanent fix - it's more a workaround.

The problem causing it should be properly identified and resolved. In my case the Bluetooth isn't that important, but I guess it is useful for a lot of other people who would like to keep using it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear it worked in your case, Rose!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2023 Views 1,673 Applies to: