Import Photos from SD card to Date Taken Folder on Window 10

Until a very recent OS update, I used to be able to import photos from my SD card and be able to customise where the photos went (in particular, specifying that they get copied to a date taken folder). This was available by: inserting the SD card, open file explorer, right click on the device and "open as portable device", then right click and "Import pictures and videos" and finally use the "more options" screen to specify the action I wanted.

However, this has now disappeared. How can I import photos from an SD card into date-based folders?

|

Hi

With your card inserted open Windows Live Photo Gallery and click Import (top left) and if your card appears in the box you can import you pictures, if the date is set on your camera it will automatically sort and store them in dated folders. Also when in the gallery if you click you  File>Options> here are import and other controls.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Bobby. For some reason my attempt to install Windows Live Photo Gallery failed.

However I did find the following alternative solution:

I've created a shortcut on my desktop with the following target:

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\photoAcq.dll",PhotoAndVideoAcquire

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Glad you found a solution although Windows gallery is a built in app and should be available in the list of apps, an update should not have removed it.  Did you ever notice it on your system previously?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help on this. I don't appear to have Gallery, but do have Windows Photo Viewer (which I believe was the replacement for it). From reading around, what is left on your system seems to depend on the upgrade/fresh install route you use to arrive at Windows 10.

But, I've got my solution, so I'm happy now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2021 Views 4,975 Applies to: