HP SimplePass Not Working Since Upgrading To Windows 10

My HP SimpIePass fingerprint reader, which had always worked beautifully in the past, was not working at all. I chatted online with a Microsoft representative about how to get it up and running again. She explained how to set it up through Windows Hello. So, I followed her instructions, and I thought it was all ready to use. Okay, the only time it works now is on the start-up screen, and I have to click on "fingerprint reader" to get it to open and let me swipe my finger on it to open to the desktop. On every site I go to, without exception, the SimplePass icon never comes up for me to swipe on it. Every site asks for all my user name and password information. This is not what I want at all. I want the icon to come up on every site, just like it did before this upgrade. What can I do to get it working right again?

FOR WINDOWS 10 THE SIMPLEPASS WAS JUST UPDATED HERE

sp71729 HP SimplePass V8.01.46A W7-W10 32/64bit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thus still did not work tried uninstalling and reinstalling 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

Just wanted to let everyone who is having this problem know that I was online chatting with Microsoft for a couple of hours, and then online chatting with HP for at least a couple of hours more. We tried everything, including uninstalling the old SimplePass program and installing the new, updated version. Nothing worked. Then, the HP tech told me that Microsoft Edge does not support plug-ins, and HP SimplePass simply will not work with it. He/she did say that it is just a matter of time until Microsoft "fixes" Edge to where the program will work again. So, I guess it is just a waiting game for the moment.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is Edge and can we disable it?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Edge is the new browser that has replaced Internet Explorer. Yes, you can still use IE if you want to, but HP SimplePass will still not work exactly as it did before. The tech that I chatted with placed IE on my tool bar at the bottom of the screen, and I can use it to do any searches if I want to. But SimplePass will still not work just right, even when I use IE. So, I use Microsoft Edge instead. SimplePass will work when I am signing onto my computer itself, but not in websites. But I feel confident that the problem will be resolved soon. It sounds like they (Microsoft) are aware that the problem exists, and there are so many of us who use fingerprint readers that they will surely (hopefully) not leave us in the lurch. It isn't just the HP SimplePass fingerprint reader that isn't working. It is all kinds of brands all over the world. I really miss my fingerprint reader, but I am just going to try and be patient for a little while until the issue is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

Just wanted to let everyone who is having this problem know that I was online chatting with Microsoft for a couple of hours, and then online chatting with HP for at least a couple of hours more. We tried everything, including uninstalling the old SimplePass program and installing the new, updated version. Nothing worked. Then, the HP tech told me that Microsoft Edge does not support plug-ins, and HP SimplePass simply will not work with it. He/she did say that it is just a matter of time until Microsoft "fixes" Edge to where the program will work again. So, I guess it is just a waiting game for the moment.

Thanks for your reply. I have two HP Envy17 touchsmart Laptops. Have tried W10 on both.

Not impressed. So have reverted to W8.1 on both.

Thanks again,

docfoster7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

So it doesn't work with "Edge", HP Simplepass does (or should) still work with other browsers such as (Get ready for it) Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox... I needn't list them all here.

It should also allow the thousands of us out here with zero access to "Windows Hello" Fingerprint settings to login using biometrics despite the fact our drivers are configured and working according to results listed in "Device Manager"

I've even tried setting up a PIN in hope it might create the needed alternative log in options which is looking to be a disastrous idea so far since 99% of windows associated programs, including this forum, still require the original ms windows password to login and guess which is automagically entered by windows 10?

Yup! The PIN! Can't wait to see which, if either, will allow me to log into my win 8.1 devices? Almost forgot to add, since deleting the previous software, rebooting, having the installation failure and creating a windows PIN, Cortana's ask me anything is refusing to search my local drives, apps. settings the web etc. Just sits there acting brain-dead as soon as I enter anything. Sweet!

See attached installation failure (after having removed older software and doing a cold reboot)

Regards,

joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

So it doesn't work with "Edge", HP Simplepass does (or should) still work with other browsers such as (Get ready for it) Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox... I needn't list them all here.

It should also allow the thousands of us out here with zero access to "Windows Hello" Fingerprint settings to login using biometrics despite the fact our drivers are configured and working according to results listed in "Device Manager"

I've even tried setting up a PIN in hope it might create the needed alternative log in options which is looking to be a disastrous idea so far since 99% of windows associated programs, including this forum, still require the original ms windows password to login and guess which is automagically entered by windows 10?

Yup! The PIN! Can't wait to see which, if either, will allow me to log into my win 8.1 devices? Almost forgot to add, since deleting the previous software, rebooting, having the installation failure and creating a windows PIN, Cortana's ask me anything is refusing to search my local drives, apps. settings the web etc. Just sits there acting brain-dead as soon as I enter anything. Sweet!

See attached installation failure (after having removed older software and doing a cold reboot)

Regards,

joe

As soon as I plugged in my finger Print reader, it was instantly recognized by windows Insider preview build 16188.rs. I then to settings options for logging in and there it was the finger print setup.  this started out as an hp simple pass, but I have not installed any software.

Hope this helps.

Francis L Barresi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2023 Views 4,047 Applies to: