how to turn off 'scroll inactive windows when I hover over them' ?

I have gone to settings, devices, mouse.  the setting for this feature is 'off'.  However it is not turned off.  this feature makes my computer almost unusable, I cannot bear it.  I went into the registry , it is also shown as off ('0').  Please advise.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Hi Jennifer,

This can be due to software conflicts on your device. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• The last activities performed on your device prior to your concern.
  • If you've experienced your concern in all programs on your device.
  • The version of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this link.

In the meantime, we'd recommend performing a clean boot in Windows to isolate software conflicts on your device. To do this, you can perform the steps posted on this link. Once you're done, you'd need to revert the clean boot environment. To do this, check the How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section of the link.

We look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jelu / Microsft support

The answers to your questions are:

Last activities performed prior to my concern:  all activities.  Any time I have more than one window open I have a problem.  So that is, most of the time.

Concerns occurring in which programs:  all programs.  Every one.    All office suite programs plus Google, Adobe applications (particularly difficult to cope with as I always have several windows open in Photoshop or Illustrator – now these programs have become very difficult to use).  eg today I tried to print a document.  The print dialogue box was open but I accidentally allowed the mouse to hover over the document, which then became 'active' (ie on top) but it was not actually active because the print dialogue box was open but now hidden behind the document window.  The only way I could get to the print dialogue box was through task manager.

Windows version:  Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1703 OS build 15063.413, 64-bit

Problem started earlier this year, prior to that I could select windows by clicking and they did not become active by hovering.  the change must have happened after a Windows update but I can't say which one as I do not get notifications that an update is pending.

It seems I have no choice but to perform the clean boot to see if it finds the problem.  This process will be very time consuming and may not be successful.  I am also concerned it may create additional problems.  However this feature (activate windows by hovering) has rendered my computer very difficult to use and drives me nuts on a daily basis.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI, I just received a courtesy email asking if I had tried the fix and if it solved my problem. Which I appreciate.  No I have not yet done the clean reboot.  I guess I was hoping for a follow up reply from you after I sent the requested information about the OS version.

I will try the clean boot and let you know - but I've been a bit busy!! being self employed, I do not get paid for down time while I try to fix software issues... but the problem is driving my MAD so I guess that is a motivator for me! as it affects every function  - but I discovered the other day that the scroll over inactive windows thing does not occur within Adobe applications, but is still active on background windows I might have open at the same time.

I will report the outcome of the clean boot when I get to do it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

hoping someone can suggest a fix for my pointer problem which continues.  It relates to the pointer regardless of whether it's mouse or touchpad.  (at first I thought it was the mouse and have gone through all sorts of efforts to fix but it also happens with the touchpad).

When moving the cursor around the screen, any window that the pointer hovers over comes to the front and becomes active.  No need to click.  No need to make any effort to select the window.  There it is.  In front.  Hiding the window I am actually working with.

So if for instance I wish to show hidden icons so I can disconnect a USB device it is very difficult because when I move the pointer toward the hidden icon panel maybe there is a tiny gap so the pointer actually has to move over the desktop background which means the hidden icon panel disappears.  This can go on for minutes.  Laugh!! 

I have told you the Windows 10 version (above), tried a clean reboot as advised, and I updated the mouse driver, made no difference.  I am happy to attempt ANYTHING to regain control of my pointer but I do need very clear instructions as I am not an advanced user but I tell you this, this pointer problem has made my laptop PC very difficult to use. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

We see that you have done a lot to troubleshoot this issue. We found a thread that may resolve it. Please click here and find the answer provided by Xylee Del.

Keep us updated with the status of the issue and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

We see that you have done a lot to troubleshoot this issue. We found a thread that may resolve it. Please click here and find the answer provided by Xylee Del.

Keep us updated with the status of the issue and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Thanks but unfortunately does not relate to my problem.  (I probably confused the issue because at first I thought I was having a scrolling problem).

I have a pointer problem that occurs whether mouse or touchpad on my HP laptop, so it is not my mouse.

When moving the pointer around the screen, when I have more than one window open, any window that the pointer goes in front of comes to the front.  This occurs within apps too, like within Photoshop (but strangely not within Illustrator).

Also occurs when drop down / pop out menus are in use.

I can have windows flashing all over the screen, I can also find it nearly impossible to do work eg when the print dialog box gets obscured by the print preview because I accidentally allowed the pointer to wander off the edge of the print dialog box onto the print preview behind it.  Then the print preview goes tot he front and I can't get back to the dialog box because it is smaller than the print preview.

This problem only started to occur this year after some update, I don't know which one.  My partner's toshiba laptop has the same updates and similar apps but it doesn't happen on his computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem as JenniferJ_888 on my Dell laptop.  I also have a desktop with the same version (1703) of Windows 10 and it doesn't have the problem. The laptop is build 15063.483. It is nearly impossible to move the pointer around the screen (either by touchpad or mouse) without activating another window.  Zipping over in a fraction of a second still makes it happen. Since she followed all the suggestions and they didn't work, I am not going to try those unless given specific encouragement.  Under Settings -> Ease of Use -> Mouse, there is no longer an option to turn this behavior off or on.  Nor is there one under Devices ->Mouse. As she mentioned, it also happens within some apps, but not others.

This definitely started with the update to 1703.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2024 Views 2,358 Applies to: