how to change username on pc located in c:/users in windows 10 pro?

I have a problem that my name is "Srijan" but in users folder located in local disk c: is showing first five words .

Help me! I want my full name on that folder.

Hi Srijan,

I would like to ask if you are using Microsoft account or Local account.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Please follow the steps to rename the user account.

1. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.
  2. Click on “Change your account name
  3. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.
  4. Enter the new user name.
  5. Click on change name.

Method 2:

Note: Before you start, please back up all you data and create a system restore point first.

1. Press Windows Key + R combination and then type netplwiz in the Run dialog box. Click OK. If prompted for UAC, click Yes.
  2. Now in the User Accounts window, check Users must enter a user name and password to enter this computer, if it is unchecked.
  3. In the User Name section, select the user name to which you want to change the name and click Properties.
  4. In the Properties window, in the User name field, provide the desired user name. Then click Apply followed by OK.
  5. Reboot to see the change.

Change User Folder name: Even after you change the username using this method, your personal folder will continue to display the old username. To rename the user folder, do the following.

1. Create a system restore point first. Then open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

2. You will find several folders here like S-1-5-. Search through them till you find a ProfileImagePath pointing to your old username. Double-click on it and replace your old username with your new username.

3. Restart your computer to see the change.

Disclaimer:

Important: The System Restore restores the computer back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers and also reset the recently changed settings on the computer.

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:  322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)  

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Write us back with status of the issue in regards with your account. Your reply is important to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

493 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 334,785 Applies to: