Enable Win32 long paths GPO not working

For work I frequently receive zip archives from other companies that contain deep trees of folders and documents. If I expand them into my own folder structure I often hit the 260 character path length limit. I'm dealing with large numbers of files and folders and it is extremely time-consuming too reorganize and shorten names.

Since the Anniversary Update there is a group policy setting "Enable Win32 long paths" and I have enabled that. But it doesn't seem to work. I still get the filename or path too long errors when copying or creating folders in Windows Explorer that cross the 260 limit. Are there other factors that influence this? I know the OneDrive synchronization app that is part of Office 365 als has problems with long paths, but it isn't working outside OneDrive and SharePoint folders either.

My system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I don't think I had this limit in Windows 7, but I'm not 100% sure.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 3,134 Applies to:
Hmm, bad news I'm afraid. In this thread I see replies from apparently well-informed people claiming that even though Windows 10 is ready for long paths, Windows Explorer is not. It is suggested that a 3rd party fileviewer "One Commander" does support long paths.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I got an email from Microsoft Community <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>: "We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue."

No I did not. No MSFT official replied here but from other sources I get the impression that although the Windows core can support long paths, this is of no practical use to the end user since Windows Explorer does not support long paths and it is unclear if it ever will. Yes I now about uservoice.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to wait until Microsoft enables it for Explorer or use a 3rd party file management tool which is compatible with the long paths.

Sorry this didn't help.