Create a fax account

In Windows 10, I cannot create a Fax account thus I cannot use my analog modem to send faxes. When opening Windows fax and scan and trying to go – tools – Fax accounts –Add –Fax set up – Connect to a fax modem – Choose a modem name, than the program is not responding and it is stuck.

Same hardware worked perfectly on Windows 7.

Does anyone have a solution to this situation?

Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Method 1
Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved.
Note: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks

Method 2: Perform clean boot

A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

warning: after troubleshooting make sure to set computer to start as usual as mentioned in step 3 mentioned in the above kb article 

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Thanks.

Pavan. N
Microsoft Community

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Method 1 did not help. I uninstalled my Avira antivirus to no avail. Doing method 2, the problem occurred at an earlier stage, Fax set up Connect to a fax modem.

I also tried safe mode. Did not help.

When viewing the administrative events, I found the following message:

The program WFS.exe version 10.0.10240.16384 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 2318

Start Time: 01d1032e0694b394

Termination Time: 7

Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\WFS.exe

Report Id: 57b6b1b1-6f21-11e5-a08a-1c6f65351969

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can you help?

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I need all fax accounts are accessible.  Thanks

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After doing the October upgrade to Windows Creators version 1709, it appears the upgrade deleted my fax accounts.  When I would try to send a fax, I would get a message that I needed to create an account.  I clicked on tools, fax account.  There was nothing listed under account name so I clicked on add.  Clicked on connect to a fax modem, Took default modem name "Fax Modem" and clicked next. Next screen that came up had 3 choices, connect with fax modem, connect with server, I don't want to do anything now. Clicked on connect with fax modem. Nothing happened, no error message.  Clicked X to close window.  Went back to tools, fax account and there was still nothing listed under account name.  Went through the above steps again, except when I got to the screen that had 3 choices, I clicked on the last choice to not do anything now. The window closed automatically, and the account was created and I was able to send a fax. Took me 2 days to figure this one out. Sad.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 2,526 Applies to: