Core Infrastructure Server Suite Standard - what server versions does this cover?

Question: "Core Infrastructure Server Suite Standard" shows up in my license summary along with CALs for server 2012 and Windows 10 at present.  Does this cover Server 2012?

Prior to the launch of Windows 10, I had CALs for Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

I'm in the process of evaluating an upgrade to Windows 10 for me organization.  However, my provisioning server is the 2008R2 server which I believe I activated with "Core Infrastructure Server Suite Standard".

So, which download do I need?  Does this particular item cover Server 2012 Standard?  2012 R2?  Can I do an in-place upgrade of Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012?  Can I have simultaneous KMS for Windows 7 and Windows 10, should some of my end user workstations have programs incompatible with Windows 10?  (Or more importantly, if I am unable to migrate all PCs to Windows 10 all at once.) 

The only reason I'm thinking about upgrading the Server 2008R2 is because I'm told (directly by Microsoft tech support) that Server 2008R2 does not support (even with VAMT updates) KMS for Windows 10.

I'm lost with all of this licensing.  If someone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.  Microsoft Customer Support fails to understand my question.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, this issue will be better suited on TechNet support Forum. We have a dedicated team to resolve the issues. So, please post your query on TechNet forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2020 Views 1,266 Applies to: